Bromley (H) - Discussion + Predictions

45 Posts
11 Users
36 Reactions
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

First game of the Easter double header sees us welcome Bromley to Meadowbank on Good Friday. 3rd place Bromley arrive with 2 wins and 2 draws from their last 5 although they did lose on Saturday at home to York City.

Answers on a postcard for who will be involved for this one considering the current amount of injuries and the comments from Marc after Barnet. McShane, Briggs and Gallagher definitely miss out and you would expect Pybus also considering the sudden recall of Aaron Kuhl. Will we see Cook, Blair and Rutherford involved (ever again)?

Predictions:

Dorking 2-1 Bromley (Prior, Random fan playing at right back)

2,161 att.

Male

Fuller              Craig         B.Taylor

Muitt                   J.Taylor         Kuhl                Bowerman

Carter

Prior       Ottaway

Subs: Hollis, Kennedy, Francomb, McManus, Moore

Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

Also I hope we get at least a couple of interesting pre-season away days.

No Horsham please. Somewhere lots of miles away we otherwise wouldn't go to.

And somewhere totally random, maybe by a seaside resort or the coast in general.

Give the fans a couple of trips to really look forward to!

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
RobH
 RobH
(@robh)
Estimable Member

Probably not a big deal to most, but if we go down it means less games on NLTV. I bought a half season pass last year, and bought a season pass this year. I guess it is back to listening to more games than watching on the television if we go down. Still have a sliver of hope, but either way, a beer in hand on Saturday mornings and Tuesday afternoons listening or watching games will continue to happen as I cheer on the Wanderers from afar.  

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @baggy

I heard the same @GeorgeS and player was not happy. Understandably.  

As flagged before, Bowerman made no impact on the game and Blair proved much better. Bromley could have had 3 or 4 but equally, we had some very good chances in the second half, with Rutherford on.  First half no attacking threat apart from crosses from the right. 

No way back now probably but time to get some younger blood in perhaps. 

Only players I saw in the stand were Ottaway and Kennedy and one other I couldn't make out. I can't think of anyone who had a particularly bad game in comparison to everyone else but I am assuming you mean Prior or maybe Hollis?

Was a bit of an odd game by my eyes. I think both teams were poor and first half especially was terrible, but the second half alone could have finished about 5-3 to Dorking. 

Alfie missed 3 one on ones with the keeper, Prior missed a couple of good chances, keeper made an outrageous save from Tony Craig and Carter had one or two half chances as well. I'll be interested to see the xG and shots stats tomorrow.

Fully expecting the likes of Kuhl, Philpot, Rutherford, Blair, Muitt to all start on Monday. Maybe even Kennedy involved. Genuine question, is there any other team in the NL where McManus would start over Aaron Kuhl? Some questionable inclusions in the team in recent weeks...

ReplyQuote
Henryp44
(@henryp44)
Eminent Member

Feel Marc picked the wrong team and made some strange subs today. Hollis is absolutely woeful I don’t like to be rude about one of our own players but it’s painful watching him at times, Moore has looked miles off it for a while and I suspect age has caught up with him, bjt I felt looked pretty lively and looked more of a threat than bowerman yet was hooked at halftime! 

I really hope I never have to see Hollis playing left side of a back 3 ever again! Honestly absolutely baffled as to what Marc sees in him. Surely kuhl would have been better than Moore and we could have pushed josh Taylor further forward. 

All in all it was another disappointing result. Some major surgery needed in the summer as the squad is pretty poor tbh. Need an infusion of young & agile players. 

This post was modified 4 months ago 2 times by Henryp44

EthanT, Crawleysth, JacksonFairweather and 1 people reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Hollis was excellent as LB away at Boreham Wood, although we went to a back 4 pretty much as soon ad we went ahead.

Also had a good game at York away.

Likeable bloke, obv tries his hardest, bit too slow for the pacey oppo in this league though.

Find it hard to criticise the guys I really like as people and who are genuinely doing their best, think he is quite a model pro in all other respects. 

As for players in the stand, there were several- Pybus, Dan G and Briggs as well for a start, Bobby sat there 2nd half too.

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

GeorgeS and AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jacksonfairweather)
Trusted Member

Posted by: @henryp44

Feel Marc picked the wrong team and made some strange subs today. Hollis is absolutely woeful I don’t like to be rude about one of our own players but it’s painful watching him at times, Moore has looked miles off it for a while and I suspect age has caught up with him, bjt I felt looked pretty lively and looked more of a threat than bowerman yet was hooked at halftime! 

I really hope I never have to see Hollis playing left side of a back 3 ever again! Honestly absolutely baffled as to what Marc sees in him. Surely kuhl would have been better than Moore and we could have pushed josh Taylor further forward. 

All in all it was another disappointing result. Some major surgery needed in the summer as the squad is pretty poor tbh. Need an infusion of young & agile players. 

I thought the lads competed really well in the first half in what was a close game with few chances. If only we could have seen that performance in other home games against sides with less ability! Only the quality of BJS and  Carter was able to unlock the door. Both times BJS put quality balls across, there was no one at the far post for the tap in. For some reason Bowerman was making a central run instead of being at the far post both times.  

Taking BJS off at half time was mystifying. He never gets a run in the team of starts, and is always hooked at half time, despite being one of the best players in the side.

The constant inclusion of Hollis is mystifying, if he was 4 inches shorter then he would be playing 2-3 divisions lower. It seems Mark is infatuated with having someone really tall there, but there is more to being a defender than pure height. He kicked the ball out for a throw in about 4 times in the second half I can recall, just doesnt look up to it with his feet. From the first 5 minutes they were targeting the side he was on, to trigger mistakes. Twice in a row they drilled balls at him from distance before the goal. And their goal came from his side of the back 3. Ignore the supposed foul...you should still be able to defend from that position. 

Second half was a different story. We were completely overrun for a 10 minutes spell in which they got their second goal and Male pulled off some heroics. Then Prior and Alfie missed by a mile two chances as easy as the one Cheek tucked up with his slippers on. 

It was a game of a team that has lost self belief at the business end of the pitch. I do not see where the next win is coming from. Realistically, we needed 3 wins on the bounce starting from Bromley to stay up. 

The final mystifying decision was to call Kuhl back like that then bench him all game. Even giving him 20-25 minutes would have stood him in good stead for starting away to Aldershot on Monday. 

NLS football next season and decisions in terms of the recruitment and squad management needs to be a lot better for us to compete in the top 7. 

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
Henryp44
(@henryp44)
Eminent Member

@dorking-eagle I’m sure Hollis is a top bloke and to be honest he has had a very good career so was obviously a good player but it’s clear as day he just isn’t up to it against anyone with a modicum of pace these days. This issue is then compounded anytime he is asked to play in a 3 as teams just target him down the sides. 

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”. Can’t help but feel that quote pretty much sums up dorking at the moment. 

As I’ve posted before and said to you at games I have never questioned the teams work ethic or desire, I actually thought they played reasonably well yesterday. But when there is seemingly viable alternatives such as play bjt as lcb second half or philpot could have played there it is frustrating! 

EthanT and Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
(@epsomwanderer)
Eminent Member

Double edged post coming, moans but reasons to be cheerful!?!

Wow just baffled by something yesterday 

The happiest man at the start of second half must have been there left back! Bjt had him on toast giving him a horrible afternoon and for what its worth in my opinion in with a good shout as MoM, then hooked at half time. If he was sat in stand second half fair play and he's a better man than me, I'd have got changed and f@cked off! What has he got to do to get fair crack at it?

In the second half Bromley definitely  had long spell but the attacking options looked so much better once two of the Barnet 3 where forgiven! Blair and Alfie just help so much. For me Prior needs Alfie on the pitch or he's just wasting his time! 

Now breathe and relax... 

The crowd was amazing seeing the place packed out like that was brilliant, the new CEO coming in and if we down go down (we do really need snookers now) I think we are in good shape for good times ahead. 

We go again!

AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

I'm a fully paid up member of the BJT fan club - possibly my favourite player - pace, crossing ability, skill, work rate - what's not to like? Other than perhaps sometime suspect defending, but I'd stick him further forward, like the first half yesterday. So I was also mystified by the decision to take him off. As Epsom W pointed out, their left back was really struggling.

Yesterday kind of nicely summed up our issues - lack of pace at the back and lack of finishing. Prior seems to be hit and miss - literally at times. He can still score some really good goals but imo misses too many at this level. Alfie's finishing let him down too, unusually.

Next season, I'd build a team (whichever division) around the core of Male, BJT, Blair, Carter, McShane, Kuhl, Muitt/Briggs and Rutherford.

As for the rest of the season - wins against Alty, Wealdstone, Rochdale and Hartlepool should do it... 😉 

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Posted by: @henryp44

@dorking-eagle I’m sure Hollis is a top bloke and to be honest he has had a very good career so was obviously a good player but it’s clear as day he just isn’t up to it against anyone with a modicum of pace these days

“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results”. Can’t help but feel that quote pretty much sums up dorking at the moment. 

Both good points. I think I am likely to be quite sad this summer as I expect the biggest ever churn of players in club history, which I accept is totally necessary sadly

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Stats don't seem to be correct to me:

xG: Dorking 1.89 - 3.52 Bromley

Possession: 49% - 51%

Shots: 14(4) - 17(8)

Top Performer: Harrison Male [7.8]

Looking at some of the individual chances, it only had TC's backpost header as a 0.12 xG. The chance Alfie dragged wide on his left was only a 0.05! Yet the backheel that Carter had right at the end was a 0.69!? It also seems to be counting each individual chance Bromley had in that scramble where they ended up hitting the bar which gives them over 1.00 xG for that moment alone.

On the Hollis debate, I understand the reasonings for playing him yesterday. Bromley are very direct and very lethal from set pieces. Yesterday was the 4th straight game they've scored a header from a corner against us. Hollis ranks very highly in the league for clearances and interceptions.

Ultimately he's not great with his feet though which is a requirement for playing for us. Not the fastest either which is why I think he should only play if Bobby is also in that back line.

Should probably add that conditions weren't great for defenders for both sides yesterday due to the wind.

ReplyQuote
(@georges)
Trusted Member

I thought Marc's post match comment "Bobby was getting a lot of joy on the right, so I took him off for Jimmy..." summed up the game, we had the goals that could've got a result in us yesterday but weren't able to capitalise. You can add this to the post I made earlier if you want to guess at any of the strongly worded discontent I heard amongst the players near me. Let's just say I wouldn't be surprised if a highly rated player decides he might be more valued playing elsewhere, really think Marc could benefit from the support of a different opinion amongst his coaching staff, could help with player morale if anyone's struggling.

This post was modified 4 months ago by GeorgeS

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

From comments here looks like a number feel management team/style needs looking at next year along with major squad overhaul and would tend to agree with these comments. Any other team would have made changes in the management team at this level.

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

@georges I can only assume you are referring to Bobby-Joe Taylor as I can't think who else would be seen as "undervalued".

I sort of understand the decision to put Muitt on as Bobby was often cutting back on to his left and delaying crosses. Jimmy as a right footer made a bit more sense. I probably would have taken Seb off though and moved bobby to the left instead.

It's worth adding that only 2 outfield players have made more appearances than Bobby-Joe this season (Prior and Josh Taylor) so not sure how undervalued he really is.

ReplyQuote
(@georges)
Trusted Member

@calvertskans Fair points and it was definitely worth giving Jimmy a go on the right, I would've made the tactical switch you suggest though as I don't think Bobby deserved to go off.

I think he deserves to play closer to 90 minutes in his appearances rather than the cameos it feels like's he's been played in this season. He adds more attacking threat than others in his position, makes no more mistakes than anyone else in the team and could help mitigate any exploitation of Hollis down the left, doesn't pick up injuries, and importantly has always been professional and wants to be here. I'm aware he's had discussions with Marc already about his role this season.

This post was modified 4 months ago 2 times by GeorgeS

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: