Bromley (H) - Discussion + Predictions

45 Posts
11 Users
36 Reactions
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

First game of the Easter double header sees us welcome Bromley to Meadowbank on Good Friday. 3rd place Bromley arrive with 2 wins and 2 draws from their last 5 although they did lose on Saturday at home to York City.

Answers on a postcard for who will be involved for this one considering the current amount of injuries and the comments from Marc after Barnet. McShane, Briggs and Gallagher definitely miss out and you would expect Pybus also considering the sudden recall of Aaron Kuhl. Will we see Cook, Blair and Rutherford involved (ever again)?

Predictions:

Dorking 2-1 Bromley (Prior, Random fan playing at right back)

2,161 att.

Male

Fuller              Craig         B.Taylor

Muitt                   J.Taylor         Kuhl                Bowerman

Carter

Prior       Ottaway

Subs: Hollis, Kennedy, Francomb, McManus, Moore

TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

@jacksonfairweather Probably looking to next season a bit and seeing which of these young players would be good enough for NLS level. I definitely think Joe Rabbetts can as he was on loan at Dartford briefly earlier in the season. Cam Black and Joel Brown probably won't be far behind either.

ReplyQuote
(@jacksonfairweather)
Trusted Member

@calvertskans It will also be good for them to experience playing at NLP. It should stand them in good stead for their careers ahead.

TomCalvert reacted
ReplyQuote
(@georges)
Trusted Member

@happy-hammers over 9000 people following us on Facebook, we'd need everyone in a sold-out Meadowbank buying 3x programmes on a match day and giving them out to others to reach the same number. Also helps fan-club engagement as we can be more informed sooner, rather than paying £3 to read about it in the hour before kickoff, the modern world does have some benefits.

Writing definitely looked on the wall for Joe Cook, as has already been said on here any player coming into the club should be aware of Marc's style and if it's not working out for the employer and employee then tough decisions must be made. I remember Jack Barham a few years back scoring 10 goals in one December shortly after arriving then moving on after an apparent personality clash. At this moment in the season Isaac's mentality would help us more than Joe Cook's.

This post was modified 4 months ago by GeorgeS

EthanT, TomCalvert and AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Philpot has played virtually every game on loan at Horsham mainly filling in at Right Centre Back (Horsham play 4 at back). He has sometimes played twice a week so should be fit, and the couple of games I saw he looked very assured at back.

GeorgeS reacted
ReplyQuote
Baggy
(@baggy)
Member Moderator

I honestly think we have a chance against Bromley, judging by the game at their place and their recent form.  My Bromley mate tells me they have lost form at the wrong moment, partly due to the return of some of their (Arsenal) loan players and another lad, Lewis, now playing in the Championship.  Also, they don't have huge pace up front. Cheek is a good finisher but not lightening quick.  

I have not seen Cameron Black play, but if he strong and pacey, no harm in giving him a go? Agree with others that Cook had to go, which is a shame, because there is a good player in there. Kuhl could do the Pybus role if Dan is unfit; was a bit harsh to shuffle him off after one poor game. Wasn't everyone poor that day?  Will be interested to see if Blair plays. I think he is a better bet than Bowerman, mainly because he is physically stronger and has a better shot on him.  But equally, his temperament is not as good; Seb is a terrific worker and surprisingly good defensively. 

I am going for a 2-1 win. 

ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

A back 3 aged combined 108 years old. 

And a starting 11 average age of 31

Interesting. 

EthanT and Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
(@georges)
Trusted Member

Won't mention names but during 2nd half I heard a lot of grumbling towards management in support of one particular player from his teammates who were sat near me in the main stand. Won't take much for anyone watching the game today to work out who, but doesn't sound like a happy changing room and I felt for the player involved.

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

I think that is Dorking down to be honest 🤔 Got to win 2 out of 5 just to get out of relegation zone. Think bottom 4 now will go down. At least Aldershot had two sent off so will have to make changes for Monday.

ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @happy-hammers

A back 3 aged combined 108 years old. 

And a starting 11 average age of 31

Interesting. 

Experience is good, but if all those at the back are all slow, can be a problem particularly against pacy forwards.

ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

Wow Strange post match interview. 

Male has been making saves like that all season, keeping the score down.

Put it all on the players again. 

GeorgeS reacted
ReplyQuote
Baggy
(@baggy)
Member Moderator

I heard the same @GeorgeS and player was not happy. Understandably.  

As flagged before, Bowerman made no impact on the game and Blair proved much better. Bromley could have had 3 or 4 but equally, we had some very good chances in the second half, with Rutherford on.  First half no attacking threat apart from crosses from the right. 

No way back now probably but time to get some younger blood in perhaps. 

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

Said it a while back, the players just aren't good enough sadly, and Marc pretty much alluded to that in his post match interview.

Need a massive squad overhaul in the close season taking into account multiple factors, age, commitment, ability, wage cost etc etc

To be fair that would have been the case anyway whether we stayed up or go down.

Still feel very positive about things, a couple of off field fan improvements in the pipeline, the new CEO looking to improve the experience for us fans too.

Huge crowd today too, if you take off the away fans in the crowd there were 2326 Dorking fans present.

At the Promotion play off final there were 3000 present but just over 2000 Dorking as we gave Ebbsfleet a generous application.

Against Woking last season 3732 but take away the away allocation of 1350 and it was only very slightly more than today.

Scunthorpe on the last day of last season 3006 and something like 2500 Dorking fans.

It shows that there is a good appetite for National League football in the town, which is crucial for establishing a National League standard team here.

That is a massive positive.

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Marc saying something like 5 changes for Aldershot I think it is nailed on that Kuhl starts.

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Baggy
(@baggy)
Member Moderator

I am not sure that Hollis will start much again this season.  Good points about the crowd. Great numbers today; just need better facilities which hopefully the new CEO will help deliver. 
Will be interesting to see how attendances hold up if we do go down. Hopefully it has become a habit for many. Home and away. 

SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

I looked at the prices currently being charged in the NLS. I would be amazed if we charge more than the current £18 in the NLS because it would make us a massive outlier.

Midweek home games on cold nights might be a bit sparse, but I am sure our average crowds will be much higher than when we were last in the NLS 

Get a better home win ratio (our home form this season has been awful) and they will still come. Maybe do some more school ticket promotions. Ground holds 4k after all.

Visiting supporter numbers could well be a lot lower of course, bar Maidstone.

The numbers we take away should be a lot better than last time we were in the NLS - then it used to be 30-60 or thereabouts. Now I think we'd take 100 anywhere, 200 to most places in the South East.

Off the pitch the merch is much better than it used to be, vast range of different club branded stuff being worn on matchdays, not just scarves and hats but coats, tops, hoodies and all sorts of other stuff. Club is growing all the time.

GeorgeS reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: