Wealdstone (A) / Rochdale (A) - Discussion + Predictions

27 Posts
13 Users
15 Reactions
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

A proper double header as we play away from home twice in 40 hours. Firstly against relegation rivals Wealdstone (20th) and then a first visit to Rochdale (11th). Wealdstone only have 1 point from their last 5 games but have a chance to add to that as they host Southend this evening. Rochdale have found a little bit of form with 2 wins and 2 draws from their last 5.

Injuries seem to be mounting up against us again with Francomb, Fuller, McManus, Pybus all struggling to be fit, adding to the long term injury list of Briggs, McShane, Gallagher and Ottaway. No mention of the injury Prior picked up against Altrincham though.

Will be interesting to see what level of rotation happens with the two games close together and the lack of fit players.

Predictions

Wealdstone 1-2 Dorking

1,297 (169 away) att.

Rochdale 0-0 Dorking

2,667 (241 away) att.

Male

Philpot       Hollis            Craig      B.Taylor

Kuhl           J.Taylor

Muitt                    Carter                 Bowerman

Rutherford

Subs: Francomb, Fuller, Kennedy, Blair, Moore

I expect Blair and Bowerman to rotate between the two games and I can also see Moore sharing a lot of minutes with Rutherford. Wouldn't surprise me to see Joel Brown or Jack Saunders make the bench for one of the games as we're fairly short of midfielders. Hopefully Prior is at least fit enough for the bench for Rochdale. I wonder if there is a temptation to recall the likes of Jebb and Rabbetts as neither Havant or Bognor are playing for anything at this stage.     

This topic was modified 4 months ago 2 times by TomCalvert

Dorking Raider
(@dorking-raider)
Eminent Member

Understand they charged the club over 900 quid for a licence just to take the back of the away fans standing shelter at Meadowbank, refused to allow the toilet block (that ground grading demanded) to be connected up, been a PITA about the tv gantry (also a grading requirement), have huge respect for the way DW have conducted themselves publicly over what must be an intolerable relationship (and hope that somehow it can get better)

ReplyQuote
(@georges)
Trusted Member

@dorking-eagle I enquired once about a gate/opening at the back of the main stand so the non-playing squad don't have to vault over chairs and a railing to have space up there and was told Surrey FA refused this for reasons unknown! They also apparently refused safety railings in the main stand, which could be an accident waiting to happen for some of the less mobile supporters!

Anyway, hard to comment on the game as I wasn't watching, was so positive for those few minutes where the BBC Sport goal updates looked like we'd had Winston Churchill in the changing room at half time and found a result in us, but then the speed of the collapse was so spectacular I can only see the humour in it! Actually looking forward to hopefully having a few more goals scored, wins and possibly even a promotion next year for our money, and the great catering on offer at a Dulwich away day!

This post was modified 4 months ago by GeorgeS

EthanT reacted
ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

@georges We won't be playing Dulwich away unless it's in a cup

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

Dulwich went down to step 3, but there are great burgers at Hampton

For the away matchgoing fan there are some nice trips, less miles overall, changing ends, clubhouses, cheaper tickets etc

Hopefully being South based we don't get any more of the Oldham, Wrexham, Tranmere or whatever fans coming in our away bit wearing their own club colours and expecting loads of love just because they enjoy watching Marc on BoA, find that really annoying and a bit patronising

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
(@georges)
Trusted Member

@calvertskans Oh woops! Didn't see what, will try and keep my chin up 🤣

ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

Well guys I'm calling it a day from the forum and going to have a nice summer free from Dorking Wanderers. 

Cricket season starts this Sunday for me.

This was a great forum, with great people and great topics. 

All the best for the summer.

ReplyQuote
Baggy
(@baggy)
Member Moderator

Cheers Gary. Thanks for all your input and frank comments during the season. Enjoy the cricket! 

We might want to have a summer break on the forum, to recharge our batteries, or just let things tick along in the background as and when. Grateful for any views from the regulars??

ReplyQuote
(@ethant)
Eminent Member

Well that was incredibly disappointing but not surprising.

So many things contributed to us going down and if it wasn't for Male we would have given Oxford a run for their money as being the side to take dead bottom of the NL. Ultimately I think that losing Mark Beard was too big of a loss and with the management team making countless mistakes and the players performing below their level, we were doomed for and never near the level required.

As I have said before, I believe that a change in management much earlier in the season would have seen us stay up (understand that loyalty stopped many people agreeing with this viewpoint).

However, with that said, I have absolute faith in Marc to give us a strong season in the NLS and turn it around. That's me done moaning about this season now and just looking forward to getting back to trouncing teams down Meadowbank like we did last time in the NLS and seeing the likes of Briggsy, Alfie etc. back to their absolute best while trying to hold on to as many of our other star players as possible.

COYW!

This post was modified 4 months ago by EthanT

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Posted by: @baggy

We might want to have a summer break on the forum, to recharge our batteries, or just let things tick along in the background as and when. Grateful for any views from the regulars??

bsolutely not, there is something discuss most of the time, players coming and going, pre season fixtures, hopes, dreams, off field developments etc. The forum will run along fine at its own pace. I'm still here for sure!

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

AdeB, Crawleysth and SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Baggy
(@baggy)
Member Moderator

Well I can’t believe we managed to get a draw out of that. Great effort from all the players, who were clearly absolutely shattered at the end of it.  And great to see Slav back making crucial saves at the end. 

But to be honest I thought there was a big gulf in quality between the teams. Rochdale could play out from the back and keep the ball in a way we rarely did, and they missed a good few chances, second half especially. 

Alfie had an impossible task up there - it was hard to see a workable game plan at times. Carter and Josh Taylor were quality on the ball but it looked a tired if gutsy display overall. 

I thought Marc spoke well after the game. Bring on next Saturday and a new chapter. 💪

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Both the pre and post match interviews from yesterday worth a watch. Club management clearly working overtime at the moment to sort the squad and regime for next season.

Jonathan Bines doing loads of planning, cant wait to hear more in due course about what it means. But sounds like the core of players will train on more days.

Off the pitch I am aware of a couple of things coming which will improve the spectator experience and make the club a bit more professional too

Rochdale had a couple of players who didn't look anything special physically but who were real talents and so, so capable

In the stands, once a couple of our northern followers were advised about their choice of language then it was a great, noisy supportive game as usual and the red and white army did a great job backing the boys

Feeling positive about next season and looking forward to tracking the final games in other divisions to see who joins us, hope Torquay and Truro stay up!

This post was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Dorking Eagle

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I thought we put in an ok performance to be fair. Rochdale finished stronger and created a few chances in the last 15-20 mins but that is expected when we played less than 48 hours before and Rochdale had the whole week off.

We were unfortunate to not be 1-0 up at HT as their keeper made a ridiculous save from Alfie (which would have been goal of the season) and another good one from Bobby (also would have been a goal of the season contender). We had chances in the second half as well.

Great to see Slav in the side and putting in a really good performance - was arguably our MOM.

Side note - did anyone see the reaction of Bobby-Joe when the fans were chanting his name just before KO? Gave an extended wave and heart gesture to the crowd; looked very much like he was saying goodbye to me. Could just be thanking the fans for the support over a difficult season though.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: