Notifications
Clear all

Bounce back

9 Posts
5 Users
14 Reactions
(@kelliott478)
Topic starter  

Solihull fan, not intended to be patronising, so do take in the spirit it is intended. Genuinely very sorry to see you go down. Great set up (pitch aside), great set of fans from my two visits and a manager who is different class - from his interview post match last night to his humour at Solihull last season, brilliant. The league will be a poorer one without Dorking and I hope you bounce back next season. The story of your rise is immense and I hope this is a temporary blip corrected next season.

I wish you well and i know many other Moors fans share these sentiments. 

AdeB, EthanT, Baggy and 1 people reacted
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

Unlike so many teams who are relegated, we have not sacked the manager during the season and we certainly won't be getting anyone in to replace Marc either.

The stability that Marc brings is a real benefit, many clubs change their manager following a relegation and then the next season is something of an unknown.

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
DorkingTyke
(@dorkingtyke)
Estimable Member

We all need to manage our expectations about the way ahead.

In my view the priorities for DWFC are not a quick return to the NL but establishing sustainability and resilience.

If Marc fell under a bus now DWFC would be destroyed. He is currently Owner, Chairman, & Team Manager of DWFC and also CEO of Promote UK - something has got to give. Marc and the Board will need some time to sort this out.

If we bought in a load of new players now to get us straight back into the National League we would probably be back down again the following season. But if the aim is to re-build the squad with “Dorking Wanderers” type players this is going to take two to three years.  Furthermore,  a full time squad of players needs a full time manager (or head coach) to manage them.

The Olympics may have put Dorking on the map but DWFC has kept it there and that is down to Marc. I’m sure you all feel proud, as I do, of my local team and the significant benefits that DWFC has brought to the town and local community.  The next time we go up though we need the infrastructure to sustain and build on our position and reputation.  That means more money; getting the stadium right (or getting the right stadium); a grass pitch; having a resilient (full-time?) management structure to support the playing and non-playing activities; breaking free of the Surrey FA shackles; and also LOTS OF MONEY.

Unless we can get a Hollywood film star on board we will need two years (or maybe even three)  in the NLS to achieve all this. 

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

The BBC Radio Surrey interview (only 4 mins long) which was recorded last night after the game is excellent and goes into a fair few of the specifics of the next steps for the club, well worth a listen

It outlines the strategy and broadly the process for how the squad is going to be (presumably) cut down and what the club needs to do including more professionalism

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0hqf99x

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

EthanT and SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Good to hear Marc being positive about next year, and also admitting some of his mistakes such as letting Seager go.

As Marc indicated, there need to be changes on and off the field.  A few of the recent signings did not have the Wanderers mentality, and some of the older long term players are not the same they were 2-3 years ago.

Marc talked about winning the title, but as Dorking Tyke said the restructure of both the squad, and off field may take longer. When Dorking go up to NL again, they need to be in a position to compete. Next year the likes of Hornchurch,  Oxford or Boreham Wood, and Chelmsford,  Worthing,  Braintree, Maidstone and St Albans (whichever doesn't go up) will provide good opposition.

I don't think Marc could do much worse than appointing Tony Craig as player/assistant manager. He has so much experience, is a leader and Crawley players voted him player most likely to succeed as a Manager.  He also said he was interested in becoming one in the future, and he is not afraid to speak his mind.

EthanT reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Wonder if we'll see pitchside drinking at Meadowbank next season as part of Jonathan's strategy to increase f&b spend? They make a packet out of it at Dulwich, if done properly could really take off. Know Marc hasn't been keen in the past due to the family vibe he likes to attract but make it craft ale only (from the hand pump) and it'll mostly be harmless beardy anorak types I'd have thought?

Thoughts?

AdeB and EthanT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Sounds good to me. Or just increase the range of beers in the bars (little choice unless you like lager). Don't seem to do Dorking Brewery beers this year.

ReplyQuote
Baggy
(@baggy)
Member Moderator

Agree that we could do the Dulwich thing on pitch side drinking, as a non beard and anorak wearing craft ale drinker.   If Marc is worried about the family element he could a) swear less and b) have more family stand / areas. 

They try to make that difference at T20 games, although not always with complete success. 

Agree on the need for a long term plan,  for going full time and developing the ground too. 

EthanT reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

On the subject of Dorking Brewery beers, have to say that Defaulter lager (may have spelt it wrong) was horrible (Spitfire is perfectly good)

No idea if pitchside drinking would ever be possible at home, the club might say it's not worth the extra hassle etc but many clubs we will visit do it anyway.

ReplyQuote
Share: