Wealdstone (A) / Rochdale (A) - Discussion + Predictions

27 Posts
13 Users
15 Reactions
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

A proper double header as we play away from home twice in 40 hours. Firstly against relegation rivals Wealdstone (20th) and then a first visit to Rochdale (11th). Wealdstone only have 1 point from their last 5 games but have a chance to add to that as they host Southend this evening. Rochdale have found a little bit of form with 2 wins and 2 draws from their last 5.

Injuries seem to be mounting up against us again with Francomb, Fuller, McManus, Pybus all struggling to be fit, adding to the long term injury list of Briggs, McShane, Gallagher and Ottaway. No mention of the injury Prior picked up against Altrincham though.

Will be interesting to see what level of rotation happens with the two games close together and the lack of fit players.

Predictions

Wealdstone 1-2 Dorking

1,297 (169 away) att.

Rochdale 0-0 Dorking

2,667 (241 away) att.

Male

Philpot       Hollis            Craig      B.Taylor

Kuhl           J.Taylor

Muitt                    Carter                 Bowerman

Rutherford

Subs: Francomb, Fuller, Kennedy, Blair, Moore

I expect Blair and Bowerman to rotate between the two games and I can also see Moore sharing a lot of minutes with Rutherford. Wouldn't surprise me to see Joel Brown or Jack Saunders make the bench for one of the games as we're fairly short of midfielders. Hopefully Prior is at least fit enough for the bench for Rochdale. I wonder if there is a temptation to recall the likes of Jebb and Rabbetts as neither Havant or Bognor are playing for anything at this stage.     

This topic was modified 4 months ago 2 times by TomCalvert

Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

Such a hard call this is.

So I'm going for 2 draws, I can't see where a win is coming from especially as we have been so poor in the final 3rd.

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Marc is right when he says Wealdstone is a must win game. Hopefully he inspires the team with more urgency on Thursday. The team played okay on Saturday, and defended well, but there was no urgency from the front players. I would have liked to see the likes of BJ push forward more. 

The problem with this game is it is also a must not lose too, so can't  risk too much at back. Need at least 4 points from next 2 games, but think even that may not be enough 

I can't see Jebb being recalled yet as Havant in worse situation than us (have to win last 3 games to stand any chance of staying up).

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

Pretty sure it's lose to Wealdstone and we're effectively down due to GD?

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @adeb

Pretty sure it's lose to Wealdstone and we're effectively down due to GD?

You are right. Even if they won 1-0, they would have Gd of -14 and 50 points, and we would have Gd  of -29, and 44 points so effectively relegated.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

Yeah we'd be 6 points from safety with 2 games left and a diaboiical goal difference compared to others - we would have to win both games 8-0 or similar!!

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Havant now relegated (they and Dover have been relegated twice recently). Hopefully we can now recall Jebb from Havant.

ReplyQuote
(@jacksonfairweather)
Trusted Member

@crawleysth Jebb couldnt even get into a Havant team fighting for their lives at the bottom of NLS. I very much doubt that Marc recalls him, Marc does not rate Jebb.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

TONIGHT the big one. 

Every fan going, make all the noise you can.

If you cannot go then give them positive messages of support on social media

Let them know our support is there

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

It is over. 4-2 loss. Dorking are relegated (can't see them winning their last two games and overturning 5 goal deficit).

Number of home defeats to sides near bottom, and mistake of not bringing in players when had lots of injuries reason for relegation, not this game. Was clear long ago that we were conceding too many and not scoring enough but not sorted (cash reasons?).

Hopefully squad is totally reviewed and we come back stronger, but feel may need more than one year to return to this level. Yeovil promoted, so at least avoid them next year.

ReplyQuote
RobH
 RobH
(@robh)
Estimable Member

Gutted. We looked good defensively in the first half. We go two up in the second half, and fall apart? Is it even mathematical possible for us to not get relegated? 

Still hoping we go full time next season, and can really build a squad to make a push back in the NL. Feel as though we will lose a few really good players over the summer. 

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
(@slug)
Member Moderator

Tough to take tonight, but I’m excited about the bigger picture. Had a couple of years in the NL to see what’s needed, so we go away and sort the ground, sort the pitch and move to full time. 
Bring it on, see you at Rochdale!

AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Still looking forward to Rochdale, been to every away game this season and it'll complete the set (plus never been there before)

The game yesterday reminded me of a few already

Like being delirious when we equalised at Dagenham away in the 94th minute only for Dagenham to take all 3 points in the 95th

Or Rochdale at home where we were winning in the 89th minute and still lost

There are others no doubt but at least we gave it our all last night

As I said a long time ago, goal difference is usually the biggest indicator of the teams that will kop it

It would be even worse if it wasn't for Harrison, a shining star of the future for someone

I'm sure there will be other threads about what this means, playing squad (in and out), what the club could and should prioritise in terms of infrastructure, and of course looking forward to the challenge of getting up from the NLS again and the teams and places we'll be facing

Feel free to start those threads when you are so inclined, this is always the home of discussion and opinions for all things DWFC

ReplyQuote
(@epsomwanderer)
Eminent Member

Just watched Marc post match classy!

We go again next season 

SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Be incredibly interested in what the significant challenges we've faced over the last year or so are that he is going to share details of.

I am aware that Surrey FA are an incredibly challenging organisation to be tenants under, heard some incredible stuff over recent years. I don't know if that is what he is going to mention or not, but on that alone I really hope that relationship might be changing some time shortly for the betterment of DWFC, perhaps as a result of the freehold purchase or maybe EVEN BIGGER changes ahead than just that land purchase alone? Will watch with great interest.

SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: