11 Users
14 Reactions
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator
Topic starter  

From the Solihull post-match interview with Marc:

"This club is only going forward"....

"We've got some news coming out this week which is really big for this club that there's going to be a press release on. We strive to be a professional club"

"Maybe Dorking have arrived a bit early where they are....in reality we're a very small club in this league and we want to make sure that we build it off the field...the purchase of the ground...bringing key people in like we are this week....the club is only going to go forward"

Feel free to use this thread to dream big. Ambitious speculation welcome!

Maybe the imminent announcement of a tall dark stranger with shiny shoes and a whole heap of business acumen looking to grow the vision? Lots of off the pitch infrastructure that would no doubt benefit from expertise to help everything being 'grown' after all! 

This topic was modified 4 months ago by Dorking Eagle

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

AdeB reacted
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member

Yeah, considering the language Marc used I would assume it is a new investor in the club.

Could also be an announcement of a switch to full time as well.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

Could be an investor or perhaps just someone to take some of the weight off Marc's shoulders? The club is a big operation these days with media, catering, bars, sponsorship (it goes on), how on earth everything gets done I do not know!

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

From listening to the interview, it certainly sounded like new investors, and possibly switch to full time in future. Hopefully will still be in NL to benefit from changes. 

I would expect pitch to be the first thing to be looked at if purchase of stadium purchase goes through. Can understand desire to improve stadium, but hope whatever league Dorking is in next season, some money is used to strengthen the squad, as there is no point in having a great stadium, but average team. Teams like Chester and Darlington have found this out to their cost in the past.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

Had a sleep on it, could be so many things!

I think it is terrific that the club is looking to purchase the Maeadowbank freehold, however that is only going to deliver big benefits if the club also obtains the operating lease (Surrey FA have that for another 44 years) - whoever holds the operating lease makes all the revenue from the use of the pitch, which can be very lucrative.

Of course if DW own the freehold they can have more control over the state of the pitch, hopefully stop tons of needless rubber crumb being dumped on it every 3 years which is contributing to the injuries

Looking at the mega announcement though I think you have to look at what the big issues are at the club

1/ Money - the squad hasn't been invested in really since Hollis before Christmas - a new investor would have massively helped with that. Unfortunately money doesn't grow on trees. Even if there was more money, would we want to spend it on non-squad things anyway - a roof on the away end, Westhumble academy base, the Pixham academy plan? Would you invest millions at this time with the club on a cliff edge?

2/ Strategic management - Marc is trying to be team manager, chairman and run his own million pound business. If somehow his workload could be lightened, that would be a massive start. Could Kris become Chairman? Could there be a new managing Director (Waleed who used to work at Wimbledon?) (although he's just come back from a heart attack so maybe not!). Could someone come in to help Lisa boost the commercial side of the club, or get better value from suppliers? A new MD?

3/ Stadium - we can't keep paying Surrey FA all this money each year and get so little value - could we buy them out of their role at the ground in some way and get real control over our home?

Those would be my speculative suggestions!

This post was modified 4 months ago by Dorking Eagle

AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
 SMR
(@smr)

Posted by: @dorking-eagle

Could be an investor or perhaps just someone to take some of the weight off Marc's shoulders? The club is a big operation these days with media, catering, bars, sponsorship (it goes on), how on earth everything gets done I do not know!

👍

ReplyQuote
Dorking Raider
(@dorking-raider)
Eminent Member

Laugh my head off if it's something like the return of Mark Beard or we're putting a fans bar in the soft play!😁

ReplyQuote
DorkingTyke
(@dorkingtyke)
Estimable Member

There was going to be an announcement confirming the ground purchase before Christmas, then it slipped to early in the new year.  It makes we wonder whether we've been able to find the funding for a complete purchase and buyout of the SFA. Perhaps they are just going for the operating lease.

If so I wonder if DWFC will still be able to kick out the SFA.  It's not actually been good value for money for MVDC so far.  I understand that the SFA pay no rent and don't pay MVDC a share of their profits.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @dorkingtyke

There was going to be an announcement confirming the ground purchase before Christmas, then it slipped to early in the new year.   

LOL, nothing happens quickly in Local Government! 😆 😆 

ReplyQuote
(@ritch)
Eminent Member

I thought we were going full time next year?

They are currently restructuring the whole youth set up, which I thought was to align with a professional club. 

ReplyQuote
Baggy
(@baggy)
Member Moderator

Someone please tell me that the mega announcement is not the partnership with the American college team? Or have I missed something here? 🧐

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

I hope that surely isn't the mega announcement! Whilst it might be nice for the academy lads and lasses to have to have an overseas exchange trip etc, I can't see what there is for fans to particularly get excited about? 

Must be something else?

ReplyQuote
RobH
 RobH
(@robh)
Estimable Member

@baggy What American College team?

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member

Yikes

ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

I guess this may be it, as there is a full press release..... Not at all what I was expecting!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: