FC Halifax Town (H) - Discussion + Predictions

34 Posts
12 Users
15 Reactions
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

After frustration midweek, we take on Halifax at Meadowbank this Saturday. With only one home win in our last 5 league games at Meadowbank, this one feels like a must win, especially as Halifax currently sit bottom of the form table.

A few question marks on the fitness of some players for this one - Craig, McManus, Rutherford all have unknown return dates. Bowerman and Fuller remain out while Moore returns from suspension.

Predictions:

Dorking 2-1 Halifax (Prior, Carter)

1,752 att.

Assuming that the previously injured players are still out then I think we will see an unchanged lineup with Ottaway potentially replacing Rutherford. Possibly a return for Cook in the back 3.

Male

Francomb  Hollis  B.Taylor

Muitt  Pybus  Carter  J.Taylor  Blair

Prior  Ottaway

Subs: Cook, Kennedy, Gallagher, Briggs, Moore

Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

I don't disagree that we deserve to be in there, we've been pony on numerous occasions - to be honest it's amazing we've only just gone in there.

I do think we can play better and get some points here and there.

Kidderminster (currently below us) are on red hot form with their new manager (4 straight league wins) and I expect them to do a bit of a Gateshead and pull well away over the coming weeks.

So realistically we need to be better than TWO team currently above us, which does look like a tough ask at the moment.

Some very long faces after the game amongst senior officials/staff at the club after the game, they know it ain't looking good.

Can't see us signing anyone new, best hope we have would come from reintroducing Joe Cook (will that even happen?), and Alfie getting fit and scoring a few.

There has been loads of rotten luck and diabolical injury issues this season, but on some occasions the tactics have been wrong.

It seems 4 at the back will happen more often than not from now on. 

Hold on tight it's probably going to be a difficult watch.

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

EthanT reacted
ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

Before I watch Marc's post match interview, can anyone who went give me their account of the game please.

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@happy-hammers Happy to do so. Yet again undone by a combination of bad luck, poor refereeing and quick counter attacking. That penalty call could have been given for 2 challenges, let alone the initial trip.

We are more than good enough to win these sort of games but at the moment, it's just not happening.

And I really don't think we deserve to be in the bottom 4 - I've watched a lot of football in my time, and I don't think I've ever seen such bad luck with injuries and refereeing decisions. Having just watched the Bromley game on BoA, this just proves my point. Quite incredible how that wasn't a foul on Male!

I do think we'll be ok though, it's like we're really close to a very decent side, capable of beating anyone. Just need some wins, some confidence and some luck. Oh, and some decent referees who don't appear to hate Dorking. 

ReplyQuote
Henryp44
(@henryp44)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @happy-hammers

Before I watch Marc's post match interview, can anyone who went give me their account of the game please.

Dont know if you saw last weeks game Gary but it was pretty similar to that. We had a lot of possession but looked very vulnerable to counter attacks. We where extremely direct at times and spammed crosses but didn’t really create many meaningful chances. From where I was stood it looked like we should have had a penalty but I felt Halifax were good value for their win. They looked fitter, more organised and quicker all over the pitch.

Can’t help but feel pretty sombre tonight. I feel a lot of the players are out of their depth at this level. Watching Hollis play left side of a 3 is so frustrating as sides just get in behind him as he is so desperately slow. Francomb has struggled all season when playing as the right sided cb imo particularly against pacey players. The lack of athleticism at the back is a real issue and the fact Marc alluded to a change of shape in his post match will hopefully nullify some of these issues. With the ageing defenders we have we just can’t play with a back 3. 

moving forward I’d like to see a side similar to this:

Male

Fuller cook Craig bjt

J Taylor Pybus 

muitt (until bowermwn is back) carter blair

prior

I feel the 4 2 3 1 shape would give us more solidity at the back but we would still pose a threat particularly down the left side wih bjt overlapping and Blair cutting in. Would also have good options off the bench if need to change for whatever reason. 

AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
Henryp44
(@henryp44)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @adeb

Oh, and some decent referees who don't appear to hate Dorking. 

Re the refs I think it would be beneficial if Marc would stop publicly bashing them at every opportunity he gets. As frustrating as it can be sometimes you just have to suck it up and play the game a bit. If you’re going to constantly slag the officials off then it’s more likely they are going to give any tight decisions the other way imo

ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

@adeb cheers for that mate.

ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

@henryp44 cheers for that, no still in Australia so I haven't watched any games since before boxing day.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

I don't buy the claims of bad luck all the time - you make your own luck through working harder, getting your tactics right from the off (or being flexible with your tactics)

Sorry to take it away from Dorking for a second but I've seen Palace relegated four different seasons over the years - the signs are always the same - conceding REALLY early goals, regularly chasing games, strikers not getting many goals, sloppy goals conceded.

Maybe it's for morale or mindgames reasons but you can't only see the things that are unlucky for us, you have to look at both sides of the story - Halifax forced a triple save off Harrison yesterday for example, it's not like they scored from their only shots on target.

I really hope Alfie and Cook can play a part in our survival, we have to keep trying new things of course, however I don't see us making any significant signings (last year George, Tony and Jason made a huge difference), my understanding is that the budget is already at the max.

In reality we need 5 more wins, tall order. Yes there are lots of clubs equally as close to danger as us, it's a tight pack, but Kidderminster below us are looking likely to pull well away on current good form, so we are likely going to have to overhaul 2 of the teams currently above us.

Back four which sounds like the way forward much of the time is a good place to start though.

The club has so many big ideas and big projects off the pitch (including the pitch!) planned, which is fantastic ambition, but realistically we may have to scale back lots of those plans and focus on the main one which is really top of the list,  all the time that the challenges of training, travel and squad are first at hand just to stay up.

This post was modified 6 months ago by Dorking Eagle

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

EthanT reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Thinking more laterally about this division, and the smaller clubs that are in it, there are definite 'camps' amongst the clubs.

Boreham Wood and Solihull seem to be on a 10 year plan to sort their off pitch infrastucture before seriously trying to challenge for the EFL. Both I believe have Premier League clubs investing in their lovely pitches. Gradually their grounds get better, they nibble at the play offs and get good income from cup runs. 

Maidenhead take a more ramshackle approach, at least as far as their ground is concerned. They have ambitions to sell their town centre home of 150 years and move to something more like Meadowbank that would be lower maintenance. They seem just happy to stay up each year, however close they scrape it. With 'Dev' in charge they have real experience of what it takes to stay up by the skin of their teeth.

Fylde went for the big bang approach, throw a ton of money at the wall and see what sticks. They have every facility you could wish for, money no object, and that counts for a lot, but on the pitch, just staying in this league seems to be a real challenge for them. Beautiful marble floors though!

Wealdstone are the interesting one for me. I believe part time (?), ramshackle ground (dressing rooms are glorified sheds lol), but seem to have this league sussed! No idea how they do it, but I guess they wouldn't even be allowed to take part in the play offs if they had the requisite number of points! I guess they are the template for us!

AdeB and EthanT reacted
ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Not much to add here except that I think the substitution of Pybus changed the game. We were fairly dominant before that and I don't think the second goal happens with Pybus on the field. Also not helped that Gallagher had a dreadful game.

I'm still yet to see any contact for that Josh Taylor penalty shout in the second half but I do think the one on Prior in the first half is stonewall.

A few stats:

Dorking xG 2.43 - Halifax xG 3.86

Possession 59% - 41%

Shots 11 - 22

ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

Totally agree with you Mr London,  I'm a firm believer a hard working team make their own luck and that is fact.

I think our goals conceded are going to hurt us this season,  I think we all know and have been saying for a very very long time play a back 4.

Prior is finished at this level IMO,  if you can't play twice a week you shouldn't be playing this level. 

No money in the pot, Marc is relying on these players. 

Also agree about the referees, they are getting their own back by the sounds of it and you can't blame them,  how many of us would put up with Marc foul mouth and antics towards them.

I hope we get the 5 wins we need or even be hard to beat and start getting some draws as that would help big time. 

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Should add that I don't think 5 wins would be enough. I think we need 19 points at least (6 wins and a draw)

ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

Just watched the highlights. Where were the defenders for the 1st goal????

1st penalty shout definitely but again it's on Prior who is is always moaning at referees and the 2nd penalty shout the ref was in a great position to see everything. 

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

@happy-hammers Hard to see from the highlights but he looked miles offside in real time.

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@dorking-eagle Nice summary, David. It's certainly a fascinating league, let's just hope we're still there next season.

But if we're not, I think it will be a temporary set back, a (big) blip on the upward trajectory. What would be interesting is if we did go down, would we still go full time and which players would stick around?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: