The Dorking Wanderers FC Fans Forum
For those interested in stats, the 'Sofascore' app now does detailed stats for the National League. Previously you had to pay for these through Wyscout.
Some interesting findings for Dorking after taking a look back through the games this season:
- We haven't had less possession than the opposition in a game since the Barnet match back in early October. We rank 7th in terms of average possession this season.
- Although we rank 7th in possession and 4th in accurate crosses, we only rank 20th in shots per match
- Harrison Male is in the top 20 rated players in the league this season (on average rating). Also ranks number 1 in saves per match.
- Bobby-Joe Taylor has the best dribble success rate in the league. Bowerman ranks highly in terms of number of successful dribbles per 90
- Tony Craig, Dan Pybus and Dan Gallagher are all in the top 15 for accurate long balls per game
- Haydn Hollis is in the top 15 for clearances per game.
- We actually had a higher xG than Chesterfield on the opening day of the season. Also had a better xG than Dagenham in the away game a couple of weeks ago
- Strangely, we had lower possession and xG than Hartlepool in the away win
To me it looks like there are 2 key areas which need work; getting shots in on goal and being vulnerable to a counter attack, especially later on in the game.
The first one is easier to understand, given our lack of striking options for much of the season. But we may still need to look at a new striker in the close season imo.
The second one might be due to us chasing the game, and possible lack of pace at the back.
Thanks @TomCalvert. Interesting stats, and not all of them surprising.
Having just watched the BoA Bromley game, that feels right: a lot of possession, much of it at the back, but many shots off.
The high number of saves indicates defensive vulnerability, but there have been a lot of shots blocked and not as many breakaway goals as last year. But agree it’s still an issue.
And great to see Bobby Joe dribbles stat - he has been the most consistent and threatening winger all season. He could do with some more starts!
Interesting stuff. That Bowerman stat surprised me, I thought he’d have been top in turning back and giving it to the LCB 😀