Altrincham (H) - Discussion + Predictions

28 Posts
9 Users
20 Reactions
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

We face an in-form Altrincham on Saturday for our penultimate game at Meadowbank this season. They currently sit in 4th place with 4 wins from their last 5 games.

Injury news from Marc will be interesting tomorrow as Bobby-Joe Taylor limped off in the first half at Aldershot on Monday. Dan Pybus appears to be closer to being involved again but no word on George Francomb or Harry Ottaway as of yet. Briggs, McShane and Gallagher all remain out.

Predictions:

Dorking 2-1 Altrincham (Prior, Muitt)

1,838 att.

Male

Philpot           Craig         Fuller

Muitt                Kuhl           McManus         Bowerman

J.Taylor

Prior                  Carter

(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Poor game, dominated by defences, and both keepers only had a couple of saves to make. Neither team deserved to win, so fair result but a lost opportunity - no urgency up front to try and get a result, although Marc did his best with substitutions he made. Thought defence, Muitt and Kuhl played well rest so so.

Lose to Wealdstone in our next game and we will be relegated. Need to hope both they and Boreham Wood lose on Tuesday. 3 down from 4 now as I don't think we will catch York now.

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

Few thoughts;

Once again we are more than a match for teams challenging for promotion - that has to be a very good thing, and I agree with Marc, we have yet more players out injured that are the real 'Wanderers' types who we really need. It's the finishing that's let us down time and again but with Alfie still not fit and Ottaway injured we have had one striker for some time - and it shows.

Marc did seem positive in the post match - win v Wealdstone and it's all to play for.

One other interesting thing he said (very briefly) 'if we do go down it will be the making of this club...'

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
RobH
 RobH
(@robh)
Estimable Member

@calvertskans Agreed that the damage was done earlier with points dropped on several occasions (Bromley(a), D&R (a), Eastleigh(h), even Alty away all come to mind). Earlier in the season this result would have felt like a win. 

Finishing has been a huge problem all season. I've said it before, Charlie Carter is an excellent player that has really good mental fortitude, but he has missed some pristine chances. Same with JP. Alfie has had some good moments, and I'm hoping that he comes into his own next season(eith in NL or NLS). His finishing are usually so clinical. 

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

Kidderminster losing 2-0 as it stands so lets hope for a couple of results our way on Tuesday and we are well and truly in the mix again 

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Baggy
(@baggy)
Member Moderator

Agree with that player assessment @TomCalvert. Some decent crosses going over but no Prior to be on end of them. Not much else created.  Alty looked comfortable on the ball but we defended pretty well by and large.  A back four more often? 

A strangely muted game given what was at stake. I can’t remember a match at Meadowbank with so few chances. One great save from Male but not much else to recall. 

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ritch)
Eminent Member

I’ve been championing 4 at the back for some time. I just feel it would suit us much better. Maybe even a 4-2-3-1.If not, play 2 forwards from the off. We need a win and therefore need to score goals. Would rather go down trying than not really testing their keeper. 

4 at the back would mean more starts for Bobby-Jo which would be a good thing and not have the likes of Hollis playing in a position they are clearly uncomfortable in. 

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Saw Kenny Jackett, director of football of Gillingham at the game today. Can't imagine he was looking at any of our players!

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

@crawleysth Carter or Male perhaps?

ReplyQuote
(@jacksonfairweather)
Trusted Member

It is hardly surprising that the goals have dried up. JP is 35 now and has been injured a lot in the last 18 months, and keeps on breaking down in the first half an hour of games and being taken off. Alfie has come through a lot and to expect a lot of him is not fair. Then all we have left is Ottaway, a forward who has never looked up to this level or the level below. But seemingly is retained over better forwards like Seagar. 

Money must be tight as its glaringly obvious that we are too light up top to have stayed up. If JP and Ottaway are now injured, then the only fit striker at the club is Alfie. 

The lads did great in the recent games against top sides. If only the those winnable home games had not been thrown away in the manner they were earlier in the season.

Crawleysth and EthanT reacted
ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@jacksonfairweather Except Alfie isn't fully fit, as Marc said yesterday.

I like Ottaway, and I think he has shown on a few occasions that he can perform at this level - certainly the one below. His work rate is excellent, has more skill than he's given credit for, and really fights for the ball. Scored some absolutely crucial goals too - when given the chance.

That said, a few too many glaring misses too.

ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @calvertskans

@crawleysth Carter or Male perhaps?

They need a striker so more likely Chris Conn-Clarke (22 goals). Whoever it was he stayed in same position  all game and spent more time on his phone that watching game, so probably not that interested!

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

Ottaway is a trier and I love a trier but he is a back up at best 

We must have really needed the fee that was paid to us for Seager

Fingers crossed results go our way on Tuesday, then at least we can throw the kitchen sink at it on Thursday

It is also very comforting that Marc truly believes he can pull off survival still if it remains in our hands

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

@crawleysth I can't see Conn-Clarke playing much lower than League One next season. He's the best player in our league by a mile.

He might stay with Altrincham if they get promoted though.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: