Dorking Wandering
The Dorking Wanderers FC Fans Forum
Bit of discussion about the 26/27 squad in the other thread so thought I'd move it to it's own one. I am sure we will see a retained list in the next week or so but for now, the confirmed contracted players for next season are:
Brennan Camp
Josh Taylor (injured for the first few months)
Harry Pinchard
James McShane
Seb Tauta-Caballero
Dennon Lewis
Alfie Rutherford
Jake Lawrence
Confirmed players leaving so far:
Tony Craig (retired)
Luke Moore (retired)
Niall McManus
Who would everyone keep/release for next season?
Keep- JNW, Annesley, Muitt, Carter, Foulkes, Vincent, Prior, Knight.
Question marks on Pybus, Gallagher and Francomb. I know Marc loves them so they’ll prob end up staying.
Will Sullivan or Lawrence get more game time next year? Probably not
I think we’ll need up to 5 additions and try and get this wretched injury/recovery thing sussed
Keep:
Foulkes, JNW, Annesley, DG, Frank Vincent, George Knight, Carter and Muitt.
Let go:
Francomb, Pybus, Prior, McManus, Craig, Moore (retired)
Unsure on Paul McCallum, hes been released by Eastleigh, maybe offer a 1 year deal if wages are reasonable?
I would’ve been in the Prior out camp had we gone up but can still do a job in the NLS for next year
Keep:
Foulkes, JNW, Annesley, DG, Frank Vincent, George Knight, Carter and Muitt.
Let go:
Francomb, Pybus, Prior, McManus, Craig, Moore (retired)
Unsure on Paul McCallum, hes been released by Eastleigh, maybe offer a 1 year deal if wages are reasonable?
I agree with all your keeps. I think Pybus is too injury prone so should release, and if we want to push for promotion next year I think we need a different forward to Prior who is nearly 38 . If keep him, just use as backup for injuries. Possibly keep Francomb and offer a contract to McCallum if happy to accept lower wages.
Prior is no doubt a club legend, but he will be 38 in December and was often anonymous in games this season, we need fresh blood in order to progress and get over the line for next season
Rich on his BOA update said there’s 2 new signings being announced on Friday
He also said he’d like P Mac to stay and doesn’t know if he’s signing on next season , but he does know the identity of the two signings. Could be poker face 😂
@gary-munnery sorry mate but I think prior is done at this level. Too slow and injury prone now. Would be better off spending the wages on a younger hungrier striker
I'll have a Guinness
I’d get rid of Prior and unless we get Paul Mac on a crazy cheap deal, wouldn't bother retaining his services either. Pybus has got to go, waste of money with his injury record. Francombe as well would probably let go.
Would keep the rest and would love to see Sam Pearson back next season on loan as well. Decent player and I think if he had a long run would do wonders.
Heard a strong rumour that Foulkes will move on, as wants to play at least National League football next season. Real shame if so.
@magik Agree with McCallum, had high hopes for him when he first joined as he was prolific in the NL but injuries he suffered in recent seasons and soon after joining us means he never made a full impact. Popped up with a couple important goals but never showed us exactly what he is/was capable off. If the deal works financially then would give him a season too see if he can reach those levels of old, he did settle in well with the squad and adds experience, but wouldnt be too disappointed if he moved on elsewhere
@steve1966 I think it's a bit of a myth that Prior is injury prone. Only 3 players made more apps this season than Prior (Foulkes, Vincent and Lewis).
Even last year he only missed 6 games.
@calvertskans to be fair Tom he’s not the prolific striker that we need. If he were to get a new deal, surely it would have to be on a vastly reduced wage to what he’s getting now.
As I said I think the money would be better off spent on a younger model. Could that be Casey?
I'll have a Guinness
@steve1966 Probably fair but the only thing I would say is that you need that profile of striker for the system we play. Prior is basically there for set pieces and to win flick-ons, etc. He's not there necessarily to score 25+ goals a season. You can leave the bulk of the goal scoring to Rutherford, Carter, etc and hopefully another new striker (e.g. Casey).
That being said, 9 goals + 6 assists is not a terrible return and he is probably our best player at defending set pieces as well. I wouldn't be opposed to a new deal for him as long as it makes sense for the club. It might be worth looking at younger options for that role though.
@calvertskans I agree. I think from the games I’ve seen this season, Prior’s impact in a front pair particularly has been impressive. I’ve obviously got no knowledge of the finances involved, but he’s such a great asset, so I’d definitely keep.
I also agree with the notion of improving the striking and attacking options around him though.