9 Users
8 Reactions
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Ok, so if we did go down, here are some positives;

A chance to really re-group, sort out the infrastructure, possibly go full time or at least plan for when that will be. As Marc said way back, the NL promotion probably came too soon.

Re assess the whole squad, although that will have to happen either way, it kind of takes the pressure off somewhat

Get the ground purchase sorted

And for the fans, some good away days;

Farnborough, Worthing, Bath City, St Albans (love that ground), Hampton & R, Tonbridge, Weston and Weymouth. Quite like Welling too tbh. And I think we'd still take decent amounts everywhere, making it even better.

What else? 

TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member

Will be nice to see us win most games (hopefully) rather than win about 1 in 4 like the last 2 years...

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

Elephant in the room. 

A new manager.

Because IMO I think Marc is out of his depth in the NL.

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

@happy-hammers

With the greatest respect, absolutely not.

I can't see how that would possibly help in any way. Marc has more than proved himself over and over again, even surviving in the NL was an incredible achievement, given the size of our club and being part time. 

We need to remember how far we've come. 

I've never been a fan of changing managers the moment things get tough, even less so with the Wanderers. Do you really suppose another manager would have done any better given the resources? Personally, I think we'd have been relegated by now without him.

Each to their own of course, and it shouldn't be a 'elephant in the room' either.

ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

Ok cow in the room 

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

@happy-hammers 😆

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member

We could get quite lucky with the teams we have in the NLS (potentially) next season as well. If we do go down with Oxford then we need to hope that the other two teams are Northern (York and Kiddy probably) as that will mean less big teams in the NLS. Oxford City may even get put in the NLN depending on who comes up from step 3, etc.

Yeovil will almost certainly get promoted and I sort of hope Maidstone or maybe Worthing join them. Dartford/Havant/Dover/Eastbourne all currently look like they will be relegated (incredibly) which leaves only Torquay United as one of the big NLS sides and even they have a ton of off the field issues.

We may only really be battling Oxford and Maidstone/Worthing next season for automatic promotion. I would like to think we can beat the likes of Chelmsford, Bath, St Albans, etc.

Crawleysth and AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

As Tom says, I think Dorking should finish in playoffs of NLS if go down, provided squad restructured and strengthened well. Not many other teams stand out although I would add Hornchurch who look like they will be promoted. Would also be great to play Horsham at that level, if they get through playoffs!

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

The main positive as a fan is the away grounds we get to visit - the list has changed quite a lot since we were last in it, so some new 'ticks'.

Of course against that, I can see the average home attendance dropping quite a bit from 1800 average, maybe down to 1300 average? The biggest drop will be away supporters coming to Meadowbank, apart from Maidstone, I can't see anyone bringing 700+ (and few others close to that)

Maybe if we go down we can plead poverty and secure the freehold cheaper? Of course the finances aren't a bottomless pit though, and it might be that relegation completely stuffs up the purchase, which would be catastrophic.

Also, I wouldn't expect the likes of Carter or Male to stick around, they are too good for the NLS in my opinion and someone would snap them up from us.

In terms of other teams in the NLS, don't automatically expect Torquay to be in there - if they are still in Admin at the time of the NL AGM then they will be deducted 10pts, which puts them in peril. And they just lost to Taunton, so results aren't guaranteed.

Also tied in with the teams we get to visit is that the away match ticket prices are cheaper, and the overall mileage travelling away should be lower. Although of course I hear Truro are threatening moving to their own new ground in Cornwall for next season, so the mileage for that one would be akin to Gateshead away!

Whilst we do occasionally play in front of small crowds at Borehamwood or Barnet, a few of the away crowds will be a culture shock.

It'll be interesting how the league would 'balance' the promotion and relegation league allocations, as you say Oxford could be put into the North, but could Needham Market for example be put in the NLS? They used to be in our Ryman division after all!

Will be interesting what happens with ticket prices for our own home games too, I can't see them going up from £18 being popular for example.

Maybe actually getting a table pre-match in The Lounge might be possible again though?

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @happy-hammers

Elephant in the room. 

A new manager.

Because IMO I think Marc is out of his depth in the NL.

I certainly think at least a new qualified coach with experience at NL level would help. The management team should include a number of individuals to support the manager, and there is now a vacancy at that level.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

If we were to end up in the same division as Horsham, at least we wouldn't have to play them pre-season for once, which would be a godsend!

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

However getting to FA Cup Round 1 proper would be as far away as ever as we would have to start back in Qualifying Round 2 🙁 

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member

@dorking-eagle I actually think we would do better starting from 2nd round qualifying rather than 4th. Would draw much easier teams (hopefully) and get a bit of confidence from a run, like we did the Hayes and Yeading year.

AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
DorkingTyke
(@dorkingtyke)
Estimable Member

@happy-hammers Yes, I agree, it does seem to be the elephant in the room. If the DWFC squad go full time then the Club also needs a full time manager. The current governance model is not sustainable for the NLS let alone the National League or above.

I'm constantly amazed at Marc's energy, passion and commitment and I'm still a great fan of his but as DWFC Chairman, DWFC Manager and Promote UK CEO - something has got to give.

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member

Torquay 10 point deduction confirmed leaving them only 3 points above the drop...

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: