Dorking Wandering

The Dorking Wanderers FC Fans Forum

Assuming we stay up...

Notifications
Clear all

Assuming we stay up who should be retained and released from the current squad?

49 Posts
12 Users
32 Likes
(@jacksonfairweather)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I will start with my retained and released list from 1st team players only, apologies if I have missed anyone. 

Retained (12)

Harrison Male

Bobby Joe Taylor

Tony Craig

Joe Cook

George Francombe

Dan Pybus

James McShane

Charlie Carter

Josh Taylor

Tom Blair

Matt Briggs

Alfie Rutherford

Release (13)

Isaac Philipott- clearly no longer part of 1st team plans. Will either be stuck in loan land next season or released.

Callum Kennedy- Has he ever been part of the starting 11 team plans? Always hangs around on the bench and never starts. Will probably be retained by Marc as a squad player.

Haydn Hollis- Has shown glaring weaknesses which mean retaining him would make him a liability next season. Think Marc loans him out as probably signed a 2 year deal at least. 

Barry Fuller- Great lad still fit enough, just think his age means its time to say goodbye. 

Niall McManus- Doesn't look up to it, potentially retained as a squad player or back up.

Jimmy Muitt- Too lightweight and inconsistent, not up to the level. Marc will retain him though as a squad player.

Luke Moore- He is 35 plus and doesn't look up to this level. Even Marc may finally say enough is enough and release to bring squad age down.

Dan Gallagher- Does not look physically good enough for the level. 

Jack Jebb- Clearly on his way out, will definitely be released in the summer.

Seb Bowerman- Doesn't physically look strong or fast enough at this level. Will be retained by Marc but will again be injured a lot if he is.

Aaron Kuhl- Takes too much time on the ball for this level, will likely be loaned out again though rather than released. 

Jason Prior- He is 35 and although has his good days now and again. He needs to be moved on for another striker who will be paid decent money. 

Harry Ottaway- The man is drowning he is so far out of his depth, would probably do a job at non-league step 4. Will be released by Marc.

This topic was modified 2 months ago by JacksonFairweather

Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

Wow. Right my Retained are. (12)

Male but I would look for another goalkeeper. 

J. Taylor. 

Pybus but again look for another holding MF.

B.J Taylor. 

Craig 

Blair 

Carter 

Cook but his discipline has to be better. 

Rutherford. 

Mcshane as a squad player.

Muitt as a squad player. 

Briggs but he must get a good pre-season under his belt.

The rest I would release. 

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member

I would generally agree with your list although there is a couple more I would keep:

Bowerman - His stats are always really good and he really suits how we play. He always ranks highly in the league for crossing accuracy and dribbles.

Muitt - A really good squad option to have. Was an important player in the second half of last season and the only reason we've not seen the best of him this year is because he missed all of pre-season and the first few months.

Kuhl - Still think there's a player there. Would be a fairly natural Moore/McManus squad replacement if they do go.

I don't see Marc keeping Cook if we stay up to be honest.

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

I think you're both being a little harsh - and maybe drastic!

imho, the only players which I'd possibly release would be Prior (based on age), Callum Kennedy and maybe Luke Moore based on age but I can't agree he looks out of place at this level.

Ottoway has scored some excellent and crucial goals, and is the perfect squad player, coming on as sub seems to suit his game too.

I'm surprised about Hollis - he's been man of the match on several occasions and his leadership/experience is much needed. Maybe not at left back but as a centre back, I like him.

Muitt - one of our better players this season but has had bad luck with injuries, has played superbly early on in the season.

I'm probably over optimistic though!

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member

@adeb Forgot to add, yes I would keep Hollis as well.

Disagree quite a lot on Muitt having been one of our best players this season. I'd put him as one of our biggest disappointments this year, although admittedly due to injury.

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@calvertskans I know what you mean - I kind of meant better not best, but do think he's not really had a decent chance. Some of those second half runs at the defence have been excellent. But I wouldn't get rid, he's got more to give I'm sure.

ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

Never Adeb, just our opinions.

Hollis will never fit into Marc's back 3.
Ottaway is a squad player at most, rather see a young forward a chance.

So you would keep most of the squad?

AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@happy-hammers I would mate, yes. Injury free and with a switch to full time I can see it working. Though I think we should add a couple of quick defenders and at least one other striker.

This post was modified 2 months ago by AdeB

ReplyQuote
(@jacksonfairweather)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @adeb

I think you're both being a little harsh - and maybe drastic!

imho, the only players which I'd possibly release would be Prior (based on age), Callum Kennedy and maybe Luke Moore based on age but I can't agree he looks out of place at this level.

Ottoway has scored some excellent and crucial goals, and is the perfect squad player, coming on as sub seems to suit his game too.

I'm surprised about Hollis - he's been man of the match on several occasions and his leadership/experience is much needed. Maybe not at left back but as a centre back, I like him.

Muitt - one of our better players this season but has had bad luck with injuries, has played superbly early on in the season.

I'm probably over optimistic though!

@adeb Nothing harsh or drastic about making wholesale changes to a squad that has gone life and death with relegation this season. Assuming we stay up and they have gone life and death with relegation.

If you are keeping 95% of the same ageing and injury prone squad and just releasing 3 players. It is going to guarantee another season of serious struggle or relegation. 

I think retaining around 12-15 of the current squad is the right strategy to take here if Dorking wants to kick on next season and avoid relegation in our third season up. There are serious deficiencies with the group we have, it is not just bad luck, the table does not lie. 

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

That is the reality.

Obviously we have a duty to those players who are currently injured to stick with them until they are fit and playing again, that is the right thing to do.

However you have to also look at players overally fitness/injury records over the past season and that has to be a consideration as to who is kept.

Then you have to consider what training model we are going to have next season, which might preclude some players to committing.

Then you have to look at who has actually appeared for the club over the last season. All that long list of players who spent much of the season on loan for example, can they move on, for their own sake as much as ours?

Then with what is left, who has actually been consistently good enough to feature for next season. Really.

It's probably 12-15 that you'd keep and a massive clearout based on age, injuries/fitness, form and ability.

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@dorking-eagle Yeah I'm probably being too soft/kind here - but you're right, there are a lot of factors to consider especially when it comes to players that might be unable to commit to a more full time set up.

One player I would like to see retained - and given a chance at least - is Aaron Kuhl. I don't think he's even played an entire 90 has he? Has a lot of potential although at 28 now is the time he needs to show it.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

28, jeez.

I'd like to think he'd be perfect ability-wise if we went down to the NLS, however I suspect Marc doesn't rate him (judging by him being allowed to be on loan all season)

I really liked him.

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
(@jacksonfairweather)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Posted by: @dorking-eagle

28, jeez.

I'd like to think he'd be perfect ability-wise if we went down to the NLS, however I suspect Marc doesn't rate him (judging by him being allowed to be on loan all season)

I really liked him.

I would file Kuhl under the Jack Jebb category. Marc doesn't rate him and is loaning him out to the division below because he wants to offload. But he cant because he is still under contract, so loan is the next best option. 

Lets not forget, Moore is still in the building but Kuhl is not. 

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member

My full list (if we stay in the NL) would be:

Retained:

GK - Male

RCB - Francomb

CB - Craig

CB/LCB - Hollis (squad player)

CB/CDM - Gallagher (squad player)

LCB/LWB - B. Taylor

RWB/RW - Briggs

RWB/RW - Muitt (squad player)

LWB/LW - Bowerman (squad player)

LW/LWB - Blair

CM - J. Taylor

CM - Pybus

CM - Kuhl (squad player)

CAM - Carter

CAM/CF - McShane (squad player)

ST - Rutherford

Loans:

LWB - Rabbetts - NLS loan

CB - Black - NLS loan

CDM - Brown - Step 3 loan

CM - Saunders - Step 3 loan

CAM/CF/LW - Everitt - NLS loan

Released:

Huk

Fuller (ideally stay as a coach)

Philpot

Cook (could maybe keep him but I doubt Marc will)

Kennedy

Procter

Allen

Steggall

McManus

Jebb

Moore

Prior

Ottaway

New

LCB - ideally some pace, left footed

CB - versatile so can play RB, right footed

CM - ball carrying CM who can rotate with Josh Taylor/Pybus

ST - Tall striker to replace Prior/Ottaway

LW/ST - Pacey winger who can also play through the middle

GK - Might need a second choice GK if none of the academy lads are good enough for the role

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member

If we were to be relegated then my only changes would be to retain Cook, McManus and then either Prior or Ottaway.

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4
Share: