Pre-season opponents speculation thread

42 Posts
10 Users
13 Reactions
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Who does everyone think we'll face in pre-season then?

DWFC just put out a tweet asking for opponents at Meadowbank. Interestingly, they have put 4 dates down which would suggest an extra game at home compared to last season. Also, the first date is in late June so perhaps a slightly earlier start to pre-season this year.

They asked for EFL, Step 1 and Step 3 opponents so I wonder who we are likely to face?

Horsham is the obvious Step 3 opponent (if they don't go up) and I imagine we end up facing Leatherhead away for the annual Advertiser Tropy game as well.

Which EFL clubs would want to play on our minefield of a pitch though?

Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

Wrexham are playing Vancouver Whitecaps in Canada on 27 July.

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

@adeb Wrexham are on a US tour at the end of July

AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Farnham Town (just promoted to step 4) have just released an article on their website saying who their pre-season schedule is against, and for 27 July they have said they are travelling to a NLS club, but that they are going to announce it next week because that is when the host club is doing all their pre-season announcements.

Could be way off, and they could be going to Farnborough for example, but I wonder if they might be coming to us, as were were looking for someone to visit us on that date?

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

@dorking-eagle Yeah I would assume it is us as we also announced that our Pre-Season schedule will be announced next week.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

See we are looking for an away friendly on 3 Aug, which I am absolutely delighted with! Leiston have made a firm offer, which would be an adventure, think that's the club by the nuclear power station lol

This post was modified 2 weeks ago by Dorking Eagle

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Dulwich and Farnham at home

Poole, Leatherhead, Redhill and Whitehawk away

Not a huge test, but happy it is weighted for away games.

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Don't want to be too negative but that is a fairly disappointing pre-season schedule.

There was a big deal about our pre-season last year and this looks even weaker...

Ritch and Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Leatherhead and Redhill we were obliged to play

Poole is the 'on tour' trip. There were several offers for the tour but Poole presumably ticked the most boxes?

Then there are two home games slotted in on Saturdays - presumably those were the best that came forward, and the last game on 3rd August we were literally hunting for an opponent less than a week ago.

If the opportunity arises I wouldn't be surprised if maybe 1 more game gets slotted in as we go.

ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @calvertskans

Don't want to be too negative but that is a fairly disappointing pre-season schedule.

There was a big deal about our pre-season last year and this looks even weaker...

Agree poor schedule. All games against opposition in league below or even lower. Not even a game against NL side. Feel need to play at least one game at NL or above. Can't see me going to any of these games even with the home games being competively  priced!

ReplyQuote
(@ritch)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @calvertskans

I feel inclined to agree Tom. I know we struggle with attracting a higher class of opposition due to our artificial pitch but even then the opposition look quite weak. 

Pre season is a chance for most smaller clubs to attract some higher league clubs for a test and greater revenue. Disappointing that we can’t do that. 

ReplyQuote
(@ethant)
Eminent Member

@ritch Yep really disappointed with that schedule.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

On the Non League Matters forum a poster is surprised at how early we have got our schedule out.

I am all for it coming out as early as possible. I'm not a cricket lover, and whilst I still have a couple of Prem games to go, then the Euros and the Olympics (on tv) this summer, I do love having fixtures I plan to go to pencilled into the diary as early as possible - it's good to keep the mind focused and also stops the other half from suggesting alternative things to do on those dates!!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3
Share: