Pre-season opponents speculation thread

42 Posts
10 Users
13 Reactions
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Who does everyone think we'll face in pre-season then?

DWFC just put out a tweet asking for opponents at Meadowbank. Interestingly, they have put 4 dates down which would suggest an extra game at home compared to last season. Also, the first date is in late June so perhaps a slightly earlier start to pre-season this year.

They asked for EFL, Step 1 and Step 3 opponents so I wonder who we are likely to face?

Horsham is the obvious Step 3 opponent (if they don't go up) and I imagine we end up facing Leatherhead away for the annual Advertiser Tropy game as well.

Which EFL clubs would want to play on our minefield of a pitch though?

TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

@jacksonfairweather We played 7 pre-season games last year:

Roffey (A)

Sutton United (H)

Farnborough (H)

Hanwell Town (H)

Barry (A)

Leatherhead (A)

Chelsea Development (A)

That's only one more than this season. Most of our friendlies last season were mid-season friendlies. It's looking like we'll play at least 7 this Summer looking at the scheduled dates.

I can't remember the exact number the year before but it possibly felt like more due to the behind closed doors Covid friendlies when the league was on hold?

This post was modified 3 months ago by TomCalvert

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

2021 was the year we played loads, 9 I think in total? I'll have a check later

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
(@georges)
Trusted Member

Oldham would probably be up for it

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

3 July Kingstonian H

10 July Horsham H

17 July Leatherhead H

20 July Horley H

24 July Chorley A

27 July Charlton XI H

1 Aug Bognor A

3 Aug South Park A

7 Aug Wealdstone H

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I understand the reasons for playing loads that year as the players hadn't played any football since January/Feb due to the cancelled season.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Yeah. If I remember correctly, South Park was VERY hastily added to the schedule with about a days notice - either we played rubbish at Bognor and Marc wanted an improvement or it was to do with getting minutes into legs

ReplyQuote
(@jacksonfairweather)
Trusted Member

@dorking-eagle Yes it was 2021 I was thinking of. Marc commented a few weeks into the season that he had played too many friendlies that summer. 

Realistically the friendlies do not help all that much in getting up to speed. You can do fitness work anyway and you cannot replicate a real match situation. Most football clubs take 2-3 league games to get all their players up to speed at most levels of the game. 

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

I am obviously massively overthinking it but I so look forward to pre season, it's like if you were a gardener and enjoy seeing the first shoots of spring appear! For me the more obscure and random the places we get to visit the better! Or just seaside clubs to make a nice day out at!

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@dorking-eagle I'm with you David - nothing wrong with enthusiasm. Really looking forward to next season already too!

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Sat 6 July, Poole Town away

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Although this is easier to get to than Barry or Mousehole, hopefully theres a coach for this one this time.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

I think I will make a weekend around it down there with the family

ReplyQuote
Dorking Raider
(@dorking-raider)
Eminent Member

Homes v Dulwich Hamlet, AFC Wimbledon.

Aways v Leatherhead, Redhill, Poole Town, Leatherhead

Could be better, could be a lot worse. Can only play teams who want to play us after all.

Would've liked a proper 'adventure' trip like Mousehole was but accept club isn't rolling in dough.

EthanT reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

DWFC are still looking for someone to visit us on 27th July.

I really hope we go away instead. 

Totally get that home game = bar takings, programme sales, food etc

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@dorking-eagle If it's at home, needs to be a 'big' one - Prem or EFL. Or maybe Wrexham?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: