Hartlepool (H) - Discussion + Predictions

20 Posts
7 Users
12 Reactions
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

For one last time in the National League for a while, we face Hartlepool United at Meadowbank. Hartlepool sit in 14th with 2 wins and 2 draws from their last 5 games.

Will be interesting to see what sort of team we put out for this one. Will Marc want to see if a few of the youngsters can cut it for next season? Will he risk any of the injured players (Prior, Pybus, Francomb, etc)? Not sure what kind of crowd we'll get for this as I wouldn't surprise me if it was quite large like last season or even quite small due to the relegation.

Predictions

Dorking 5-3 Hartlepool (Rutherford x 2, Carter, Muitt, J.Taylor)

2,387 att.

Male

Philpot               Craig             B.Taylor

Muitt                   J.Taylor        Kuhl                   Blair

Carter

Rutherford         Moore

Subs: Hollis, Kennedy, Pybus, Bowerman, Ottaway

Reminder that this is a 12:15 KO!

Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

Marc said he wanted to have concluded the discussions with the current players before Hartlepool so I would like to think he won't feature anyone who is going to leave, and the team will reflect the start of his thinking for next season. 

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
(@jacksonfairweather)
Trusted Member

I cannot see Marc including any youngsters in this game even though its a dead rubber. 

I think that given the lack of pace and youthfulness in attacking areas especially in the CF position that the best we can hope for is a low scoring draw like 1-1.

But if I was betting then I would be lumping on a Hartlepool away win by 2-1 or 3-1. I will settle on 3-1 to Hartlepool. 

Hopefully a good crowd turns out and stays for the end of season awards afterwards, as we do not know when we will back playing again at this level. It is extremely presumptuous to assume we will be competing at the top of NLS next season if we are only bringing 2-3 lads in and sticking with the current squad. The current squad needs to be drastically changed and updated with younger players for us to compete at the top of NLS.

This post was modified 1 month ago 2 times by JacksonFairweather

EthanT reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Should be a big away following. The last away game is Hartlepool fans' traditional fancy dress party . According to the Hartlepool Mail there could be up to 900 of them dressed as the Blues Brothers!

Pity I can't be there as I am going to Sutton away with Crawley.

ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Couldn't attach a file, but google Hartlepool fans coming in fancy dress to Dorking. They came to Crawley as penguins!

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Seen those pictures before, hundreds of identical smurfs coming down a London Underground escalator. Should be quite a sight! I hope DW play a few Blues Brothers songs over the tannoy to go along with it and show we aren't party poopers.

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

Baggy reacted
ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

650 tickets sold for Hartlepool as of a couple of days ago. That's quite an achievement at that time and distance.

TomCalvert reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Very impressive considering the kick off time and distance.

They brought about 7000 fans to Palace for an FA Cup game a few years ago, and turned what would have been a bit of a nothing formality game for Palace into a big occasion with tons of atmosphere!

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

@adeb Wow I didn't think they would bring that many due to the early KO, long distance and nothing to play for. Great support!

I might have to rethink my attendance prediction...

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

Dorking (2)4 Hartlepool (2)3 Carter (2), Prior (2)

ReplyQuote
(@georges)
Trusted Member

Given the hand gesture Bobby Joe made towards Marc on being subbed off, and the lengthy talking to he got after, looks like that might be the last we see of him.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Posted by: @adeb

Dorking (2)4 Hartlepool (2)3 Carter (2), Prior (2)

Close!

AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jacksonfairweather)
Trusted Member

@georges Bobby Joe has been treated terribly this season.

He was hooked today based on giving the ball away and a goal being scored a whole minute later. Marc doesnt like him, but he is clearly one of our best attacking players at the level.Bizarre. 

Anyway. I think we will be poorer next season without him but if he keeps the retirement 35+ boys as his core, there then there is no chance we go back up. 

It is deluded to believe that with so many players approaching their 40s that this current squad is bouncing straight back. Reality check. 

This post was modified 4 weeks ago by JacksonFairweather

EthanT reacted
ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

I'm with Marc on this one - there is clearly a very capable NL first team out there, and in any other season we could have comfortably survived. The only player approaching 40+ is Barry Fuller, although I agree Jason P might be nearing the end. 

Jimmy Muitt was superb today - as was (as usual) Charlie Carter, and several others.

Play like that with that team in the NLS and we will have an excellent season...

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

@georges I was talking to Bobby in the bar afterwards when Marc came over to explain. Marc said he forgot that Bobby was subbed on and didn't start and that he wouldn't have double subbed him if he had remembered that. I think he just wanted to get Tom Blair on and it was either going to be Bobby or Kennedy and the mistake made him choose Bobby.

They were both laughing and seemed fine about it so I wouldn't read in to it at all.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share: