New Signings discussion

74 Posts
13 Users
36 Reactions
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Creating this one so discuss new signings through the Summer (Although I imagine most will be announced in the next few weeks).

Marc said in an interview today that a new young defender will be announced in the next few days. He arrives from a National League South side and has EFL experience.

He also mentioned about rebuilding the physio department over the Summer and that they are close to announcing a new first team coach to replace Ross.

Who else would you like to see come in?

EthanT reacted
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

Posted by: @calvertskans

The only concern is that both Camp and Murphy are very injury prone players...

😱

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
(@jacksonfairweather)
Trusted Member

Bringing in two 23 year olds and a 24 year old in Williams is a really good move, bringing the average age down of the squad. These are players who can grow into a Wanderers career in their physical prime years of 23-28. 

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

I see Murphy is confirmed. Three things don't quite look great with this one - 

1/ Age. Whilst 33 isn't the oldest in our squad, it doesn't fit the the aim of siging younger players in their prime

2/ Injury record. After relegation Marc talked about the poor injury record of last season, how the 250 lost games cost us. Google alone tells you he's had long spells out with ankle and knee problems. 

3/ Long list of clubs. Marc himself said in a recent interview about it being a red warning light when a player had a huge list of clubs in their CV. His CV is as long as your arm.

Usual caveat, hope I am wrong, but the warning signs are there.

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@dorking-eagle Take you points but I'd counter that whilst we obviously are in the process of bringing the age down, if a player is right, then it should still make sense. If we get 2 excellent seasons it will be well worth it.

He does have an excellent scoring record too, throughout his varied career, much of it above the level we will be at, so I am expecting goals.

Re injuries, I'm sure Marc and the team would have done their homework on this, and would not risk him if they felt in any way that he's still prone in those areas.

Long list of clubs - well, not a lot to say on that one, other than he's coming towards the end of his career now, so does it matter?

I've looked at some clips of him in action, looks very strong, and as good with his feet as his head. And the feedback from other clubs online appears very positive (some say too good for this level) - if he stays injury free, of course. 

Fingers crossed.

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Murphy is younger than Ottaway so we have technically brought the average down a bit there. I am sure he will rotate with Prior as JP struggled to play 2 games a week last season. Maybe Murphy will play more of the grass pitch matches.

Predictions on squad numbers? I'll go:

Foulkes - 1

Camp - 15

Norville-Williams - 23

Murphy - 19

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

We do now seem to have a lot of players who can play that 'right of the back 3' role though - Francomb, Camp, Fuller, Philpot and even Gallagher can all play there.

Philpot now confirmed as leaving the club. Sad to see him go as a Dorking lad but makes sense as game time would have been limited.

ReplyQuote
(@jacksonfairweather)
Trusted Member

@calvertskans He would make a great signing for anyone at step 3 or 4. Lots of games there and is a really great lad.

ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

We do now seem to have a lot of players who can play that 'right of the back 3' role though - Francomb, Camp, Fuller, Philpot and even Gallagher can all play there.

Philpot now confirmed as leaving the club. Sad to see him go as a Dorking lad but makes sense as game time would have been limited.

Wonder if he will go back to Horsham. He did very well there playing virtually every game. Fans were disappointed when went back to Dorking. 

ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Murphy was brilliant in his first loan spell at Crawley, although that was 2015! Does add a lot of experience of playing at higher level, and played a lot last year plus scored quite a few goals so hopefully fitter now.

AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

I think Isaac would be able to at least play NLS somewhere (Worthing, Tonbridge etc)? He is still very decent.

ReplyQuote
(@ethant)
Eminent Member

@dorking-eagle Isaac can easily play in NLS. He will be a real solid player for some other side and think it is a mistake that we haven't been able to keep him but can't blame him for leaving after the undeserved lack of game time he has been given.

Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

I still think we're a defender short of what we need to be successful. I would have personally moved Kennedy on and replaced him with another left footed centre half who can compete with Tony Craig as well.

A winger might be required as well depending on how well Briggs comes back from his latest setback (and the fact we lost Blair).

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Harrison Male confirmed to York City

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

See Sam Beard has gone to Worthing so we will likely see him twice this season 

I suspect I am one of many Dorking fans who thinks about 'could he have rejoined us' every time he moves. That ship has clearly sailed now.

Loved watching him for us, often had a filthy tackle up his sleeve that would set off a 10 man brawl!!

EthanT and AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ethant)
Eminent Member

@dorking-eagle Yep one of my favorite players and really got me into loving the Wanderers. Watching him at LB and Isaac at RB was incredible.

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5
Share: