Dorking Wandering

The Dorking Wanderers FC Fans Forum

Drinking beer 'in s...

Notifications
Clear all
Poll results: Drinking alcohol in view of pitch at Meadowbank?
Voter(s): 8
Poll is closed May 09, 2024
Yes, drinking everywhere in the ground in sight of pitch  -  votes: 5 / 62.5%
62.5%
Yes, but allowed in limited sections of the ground only  -  votes: 1 / 12.5%
12.5%
No, keep it as it is, within fanzones and bars only  -  votes: 2 / 25%
25%

Drinking beer 'in sight of the pitch'?

9 Posts
4 Users
13 Reactions
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator
Topic starter  

This HAS NOT come from the club in any way, it's just a question and a discussion.

Prompted mainly by seeing Dartford reintroducing alcohol pitchside - but only for season ticket holders!  https://www.dartfordfc.com/update-from-the-board/

There has never been drinking (alcohol) in sight of the pitch at Meadowbank when we were in step 3 and step 2 (bar the play-off final for logistical reasons). My understanding is that this has always been a conscious choice by the club and/or Marc because of the desire to foster a family atmosphere.

Now the club is sadly back in step 2 it is something which we would be allowed to do.

But would you want to see it?

The new CEO, Jonathan has been brought in to help increase monetisation on matchdays (amongst other things). 

Would not needing to rush a beer at half time before you can return make for a better fan experience, or would fans prefer to watch games without fans drinking around them, possibly spilling beer?

Would it only work in seated areas where fans are less likely to spill their drinks? Or should the family stand always be alcohol free?

Are there risks of underage drinking if fans can take beers away into a dense crowd?

Be interested in all of your thoughts, to reiterate this HAS NOT come from the club at all, it's just me asking what people think.

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago 2 times by Dorking Eagle

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Honorable Member

Personally I would like to see it introduced but I can understand the reasons for not allowing it to this point.

Maybe trial it in pre-season but only allow it in the 'Bank' stand and the North side of the pitch. I can understand wanting to keep it out of the Family Stand at the very least.

One issue, that i've mentioned before, is that most people on the North side (myself included), and possibly the away end, won't want to go get a drink as you will end up losing your place. Would be nice to see a new mini bar/tea hut introduced on that North side in either the North-East or North-West corner.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

I always thought some sort of bar on wheels (like the converted horse box they have at Horsham in club colours) would work well somewhere along the north side. If it was on wheels it wouldn't require planning permission. Teas, coffees, grab bags of sweets or crisps. Who knows maybe even beers? With plastic cups of course...

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

SDDWFC, Crawleysth and AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @calvertskans

Personally I would like to see it introduced but I can understand the reasons for not allowing it to this point.

Maybe trial it in pre-season but only allow it in the 'Bank' stand and the North side of the pitch. I can understand wanting to keep it out of the Family Stand at the very least.

One issue, that i've mentioned before, is that most people on the North side (myself included), and possibly the away end, won't want to go get a drink as you will end up losing your place. Would be nice to see a new mini bar/tea hut introduced on that North side in either the North-East or North-West corner.

I agree totally Tom. I enjoy visiting Horsham and drinking at the side of the pitch. The pop up bars/food huts work very well there and one is needed on the North side as all the food options are in one corner of the ground. 

Never been any problems with drink at Horsham or youngsters, and it is much cheaper for children. Feel Marc needs to reduce for under 16/14 if want to encourage families. Sensible to not allow drink in Family Stand, and don't know if I would drink in the Bank as would not want to spill it if we scored (hopefully will score more next year!)

AdeB and SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

I have a feeling the ticket prices are pretty much locked in and cannot be reduced due to the season ticket prices that many people have already paid.

As I touched on earlier today, cheap prices for teenagers (at some clubs) creates a problem whereby you get large gangs/groups of teens acting antisocially - weak stewarding and it drives other fans away particularly those with younger kids

ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Posted by: @dorking-eagle

I have a feeling the ticket prices are pretty much locked in and cannot be reduced due to the season ticket prices that many people have already paid.

As I touched on earlier today, cheap prices for teenagers (at some clubs) creates a problem whereby you get large gangs/groups of teens acting antisocially - weak stewarding and it drives other fans away particularly those with younger kids

Rowdy youngsters have never been a problem at Horsham. They have a lot of excellent volunteer stewards. £2 U16 and free for under 5s

Crawley youngsters cheer and sing a lot, and had problems with bottles/flares earlier this season (including some under 10s caught on CCTV!) but stewards can be very strict at gate and in ground.  Club clamped down with banning issues this year, so generally fine now. U14s free and are not allowed in without an adult, who can be banned if they misbehave. 17-20 years £5 and 14-16 £4.

Perhaps may need to look at prices for 25/26 if not promoted, and bigger than expected fall in attendances.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

All good points 👍 Hopefully the new CEO leaves no stone unturned in his review of operations (helpfully guided by stalwarts like Alan of course)

ReplyQuote
(@ethant)
Eminent Member

@crawleysth the very high ticket prices for people in 18-21 ish age bracket put off a lot of my mates from coming when back from uni as they are not emotionally invested like a lot of us, so £18 is far too much for them to justify going. Think the club needs to take a leaf out of practically all other NL clubs and introduce cheaper tickets for 18-21, concessions etc.

AdeB and Crawleysth reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Yes a lot of league clubs such as Crawley do special prices too.

ReplyQuote
Share: