Southend (away) - Tues 12 March discussion

29 Posts
9 Users
13 Reactions
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator
Topic starter  

With 9 games left they get more important.

Supporters coach selling extremely well, only a few coach seats left.

Can make a right din under that corrugated barrel roof, so a good chance to really get behind the team and raise the roof - the drum will be in attendance!

I'm predicting a 1-1 draw, goal by Jason Prior and 135 travelling Wanderers.

Lunchtime update from Marc should shed some light on his thoughts for this one.

This topic was modified 5 months ago by Dorking Eagle

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

At least Marc is optimistic. Sounded positively upbeat and that has to be the way forward. 

tbh Southend didn't really look that dangerous throughout, and it was fairly even, with them just shading it. Can't single out any players in particular that underperformed, although another bad miss from Prior near the end which would have made it 1-1. Thought Bowerman looked excellent, trying to control the game.

Fans were superb yet again, constant noise. We're getting known for it now which is great. Even if we go down, let's keep that element at least.

I'm off to have another go at that NL predictor!

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

It was noticable that the post-match interview didn't really address the league position we find ourselves in or the reality that we are staring down the barrel. I guess the club want to keep things as positive as possible as it doesn't change anything worrying about what will be.

At the end of the day it doesn't help ticket sales if you draw attention to the poor results or position.

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
Shrimper1906
(@shrimper1906)

Your lads looked pretty tidy in the middle of the park with a fair amount of movement off the ball, but the sharpness in the box just wasn't there I'm afraid, hence our defenders didn't have too much to do. We weren't at our best, but we haven't been for the last 5 games, but we still had enough to take the 3 points. I thought your keeper looked pretty decent, but he didn't have much/any chance with Gus Scott-Morriss's free kick first half. He did, though, produce a great save to keep out Jack Bridge's drive, which was bound for the top right hand corner. 

I wish you well for the rest of the season, but it's going to be a tough old battle.

AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@shrimper1906 Yep - finishing has been a real problem lately! Cheers for coming on here.

ReplyQuote
Henryp44
(@henryp44)
Eminent Member

Think you best summed it up David. Plenty of effort but with little quality to trouble Southend.

If we have any hope of staying up we need to start getting something from our next two difficult home games. With bad loses already at home to the lower sides we need to counter that by beating solihull or Bromley.

If we can get to the last 4 games in striking distance I feel we will have a very good chance. Altrincham (h), wealdstone (a), Rochdale (a) and Hartlepool (h) is a reasonably kind run and I could see us getting potentially 7-11 points from those games. But as I say we need to be within touching distance. Saturday is a big opportunity and a win is really needed 

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

Admire the optimism many have on here still.

I've seen Palace relegated 4 times in my supporting life, you get to recognise the signs.

Of course I hope we stay up like everyone, but massive uplift in quality is needed in multiple games now, we can't just do it when the tv cameras are in town.

I now find myself with an interest in what clubs are likely to be promoted into the NLS 🙁 

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@dorking-eagle Chesham United is a good away day 😀

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

Didn't do Hornchurch when we were in the Bostik League either 😱 

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member

Bit of a nothing game for the first 60 mins except for one real bit of quality for their free kick. They then turned up the pressure a bit and Male kept us in the game until that late goal. To our credit, I thought we controlled the game in terms of possession for most of the game and then we ended well and probably should have grabbed a goal.

Stats tell the story:

xG: Southend 3.34 - 0.43 Dorking

Possession: Southend 47% - 53% Dorking

Shots: Southend 16 - 6 Dorking

Highest Rated: Harrison Male [8.4]

Home games a big focus now!

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@dorking-eagle Horrible ground. Would give that one a miss.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

Just had a look, it's like a worse version of Enfield's. Running track, tiny access road, pretty much the far end of the tube line, one pub and a chicken shop nearby. Real suburbia. Don't get me wrong fits in perfectly in the Isthmian league, but somewhat a reality check if we go from playing at Rochdale, Chesterfield, Oldham then back to that lol.

You soon forget that when we were in the NLS we played at Hungerford and Concord in front of 250 fans 😥 

Oh well, we were that team once.

ReplyQuote
Shrimper1906
(@shrimper1906)

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member

@shrimper1906 Yeah, watched them a little bit earlier. 

Was hard to tell how good the chances we had late in the game were from our end of the pitch but we really should have scored a couple of those. The one where Prior hits the post and Moore misses it as it rolls through the mud was basically a snapshot of how our whole season has gone.

In fact, yet again just like Maidenhead, Prior missed 2 or 3 really good chances in that second half.

AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@calvertskans Yep - much as I like and rate JP, I do think he's missing too many chances atm. Whether that is down to tiredness, age, lack of quality at this level or all 3 I'm not sure.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: