Dorking Wandering

The Dorking Wanderers FC Fans Forum

Projected points ov...

Notifications
Clear all

Projected points over the next few weeks?

28 Posts
7 Users
7 Reactions
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

We actually have a half-decent run of fixtures over these next few weeks so you have to feel this is an important part of the season considering our position in the table. Our last 10 games of the season are really tough though as only Maidenhead(A) and Hartlepool(H) sit in the bottom half of the table from those fixtures...

However, from now until March we only play 1 team currently sitting in the playoffs (Altrincham). Gateshead and Halifax are just outside the playoffs but even those games are at home and you would hope we stand a decent chance in both.

How many points do you think we will pickup over these next 10 games? (Assuming the York away game is rescheduled for February at some point)

I'd be fairly happy with 14 points from the following although more is definitely possible:

Gateshead (H) - 1

Dagenham (A) - 1

Boreham Wood (A) - 1

Fylde (H) - 3

Altrincham (A) - 0

Halifax (H) - 1

York (A) - 0

Kidderminster (A) - 3

Wealdstone (A) - 1

Ebbsfleet (H) - 3

The home matches are really important in this run; I reckon we need at least 8/12 points from them to stay up.

If we do get 14 points from these next 10 games then it will mean we need around 10 points from the difficult March/April period to stay up. 

Crawleysth reacted
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@calvertskans I think the away games will give us some points, the way things are atm. 3 from the away games, a win v Ebbsfleet gives us 6. Struggle to see more than that.

ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

I think Gary and AdeB are right. Are away form is crucial going forward. Marc needs to play  4 at back and be hard to beat and get some points away from some easier games on paper.

Only Eastleigh and Oxford have a worst record than us over the last 10 games. However, the home and away from is completely  different. Looking at the last 10 home games, only Woking has a worst record. However, we have the 5th best away record over the last 10 away games. Only Oldham, Chesterfield, Dagenham and Bromley have a better record .

Fortunately Dorking have more away games at the moment and it is vital to pick up points In the next 3.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

I see Ross has left the club. Until told otherwise I will assume sacked / let go.

I see it as sad because I want every player and member of staff that joins DW to be a success here, and it's not going amazing really if we're being honest.

Think one or two on twitter and facebook are being unnecessarily celebratory that he has gone. I don't like to see people revelling in someone (who wasn't earning a six figure salary after all) losing their livelihood. And Ross will probably read it and think that he was never rude to those fans or anything like it.

I hope Ross finds a good job again very quickly. He seemed like a good man even if I haven't really got any idea if he was good at his job / was well liked etc or not. Unless I learn otherwise I will take the view that he was sadly a sacrificial lamb in the hope of bettering the situation - desperate measures at desperate times.

This post was modified 6 months ago by Dorking Eagle

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

EthanT reacted
ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@dorking-eagle Yes definitely a very, very decent man.

My view, for what it's worth, is that Marc might be thinking we have too many backroom staff, not really adding enough, and, possibly, too many 'yes' men. That's what sometimes comes across on Bunch of Amateurs too.

No criticism of Ross, Marc must be quite a tricky person to work with and a very dominant character (part of his appeal, of course).

Maybe he'll be better off kicking off his full time management career somewhere a little lower down the ladder, where he can be his own boss.

ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

I can't believe Marc has sacked or let Ross go, he has a A level UEFA Licence.  I can't see him being a yes man.

To many staff, that's an understatement.  Vernon and Dean have no badges for coaching,  Dukey has a B level UEFA Licence. 

If Beardy doesn't come back then Marc will only have his mates around him coaching on the pitch, like back in the day on a Sunday morning. 

Plus no GK coach.

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Ross is a decent man and a good coach but perhaps he's just been poor for what Marc wanted from him? Sometimes two people just aren't the right fit?

When Marc had the stadium ban (yes I know) for the first 4/5 games of the season Ross was pretty much silent on the bench for example, the players aren't mindreaders, leadership on the sideline was required.

Marc owns all the mistakes he makes and fronts them up in interviews. There isn't a bottomless pit of budget though, in last nights Bromley preview episode of BoA it was again mentioned about the FA Cup exit leaving the club seriously short of funds for the season.

I hope Ross gets another position quickly and I certainly don't delight in his departure (I am still gobsmacked about reading such reactions, that ain't what us Wanderers are about surely - shakes head in disbelief). We aren't a Premier League club where some foreign mercenary has come in, done a diabolical job then sat on a fat contract bleeding the club dry for years, we're a small, friendly non league club whee everyone knows everyone else. Marc always hates letting anyone go, it's the hardest part of his job, he doesn't get any pleasure or satisfaction from it and it's almost certainly a difficult decision to do it.

As for management teams I believe there was a very small management team at another NL club which we faced this season (was it Hartlepool?) where Marc was quite in awe at how small and compact it was - possibly even considering slimming his down when he saw it.

We do have a GK coach in place though, I saw him warming up Harrison and Slav before the game on Sat (and his crosses were superb!)

This post was modified 6 months ago 2 times by Dorking Eagle

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

Not sure what you are trying to explain??

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Posted by: @happy-hammers

Not sure what you are trying to explain??

You said you couldn't believe Marc has sacked or let Ross go, citing his coaching badges as reason for your disbelief.

I can.

Coaching badges don't hold any particular sway for Marc, that is well known.

Ross has probably just fallen short of Marc's expectations.

You then mention that there are too many staff, however I pointed out that Marc already had his head turned by the example of a NL club with a smaller management team - we saw that on an episode of BoA

Only a guess but if push came to shove, Marc is more likely to stick with someone like Dukey who has been at the club well over a decade. Volunteers cost next to nothing compared to an employee like Ross. The cost could well be part of the consideration - on last night's first BoA episode Marc said there was a £500k hole in the business plan (not helped by losing in the FA Cup)

Anyway, I am sure we will get the full picture when Marc does his update at noon today, then we'll all get a better understanding of the situation we find ourselves in.

ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

I personally think, many people don't really know Marc that well, they think they do. By listening to his interviews and updates, he is a very clever man.

I have my thoughts and opinions about Marc and how he runs the team on  and off the pitch and I'll rather keep them to myself. 

The only thing I would say, do we know how experience and what UEFA badges the Hartlepool staff have(because I think badges are very important when coaching). Plus we can't compare any club with Dorking.

And I never watched BOA.

This post was modified 6 months ago by Gary Pascoe

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

Cheers Gary, I understand.

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Hard to gauge from the update if he was let go or left on his own accord. Marc's choice of language was quite careful so if I had to guess then it would probably have been a mutual decision between Ross and Marc.

ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Well, achieved 10 points from the 8 games played with Altrincham and Wealdstone away still to come. Feel will need 4 points from these games as Tom initially predicted.

As Marc said, the real let down has been the home form. 3 big defeats and 7 out of 10 points achieved away from home.

ReplyQuote
(@georges)
Trusted Member

@happy-hammers Hartlepool have former player Kevin Phillips (1999-00 European Golden Boot, 8 England caps and 580 league games) as manager, with his 2 coaches holding UEFA Pro and A licences between them. I hear what you're saying.

This post was modified 5 months ago 2 times by GeorgeS

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: