Macclesfield (A) - FA Trophy - Discussion + Predictions

33 Posts
10 Users
16 Reactions
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Dorking return to FA Trophy action away to the phoenix team of the former EFL side, Macclesfield. They currently sit in 4th place in the Northern Premier League (Step 3) and are managed by Alex Bruce (son of Steve Bruce) and part owned by Robbie Savage. Their squad includes Oumar Niasse, who Everton payed £13.5 million for back in 2016 and also John Rooney, brother of Wayne Rooney.

Dorking have a number of players cup tied for this one (Rutherford, Muitt, Cook, Kuhl) but "fortunately" they are all either currently injured or out on loan. Dorking will hope to have Francomb back fit after missing the last couple of games. Kennedy, Ottaway and Muitt are all potentially missing pending squad news from Marc later in the week. Briggs is likely to be out for a while after coming off injured early against Oldham on Saturday.

Predictions:

Macclesfield 1-2 Dorking (Prior x 2)

2,879 attd.

Male

Francomb            Craig           Hollis

B.Taylor             Gallagher         Pybus           Bowerman

J.Taylor

Carter          Prior

Subs: Huk, Philpot, Fuller, McManus, Moore, Blair, Ottaway

AdeB and Ritch reacted
DorkingTyke
(@dorkingtyke)
Estimable Member

When we won the play-off final, I recall talking to Les (PA) in the fan zone after the match. He predicted that we would get a different type of player in the team now - just there for the money, not bothered too much about the club.

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

While that might be true, it was the old boys that let us down today. Fuller hasn't had a good game since we were in the NLS. McManus, Gallagher, Prior were all awful.

Moore probably shouldn't ever play for the club again in all honesty. If that was Cook or someone, Marc would exile him for 3 months but no doubt Moore will be back in the squad after his ban because Marc "trusts him". 

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator

Fuller has been very good in a few games this season. Niall ran his socks off 1st half and saved us on the line for a very early goal that was going in but he had the sprint to get back and clear up others mess. 

A lot of the older players go in and out of form, you play them because you think their fitness is the most reliable and then they don't play well that week.

Prior was only meant to play 45 but played 62 which may now have an impact for York. 

We can't keep using 2 subs in the 1st half because players haven't got the legs so have to go with the fittest.

I see Alfie scored for Weymouth, past Dan Lincoln lol

Feel for Marc to be honest several older players he has got are probably going in the summer when we go more full time (ie the ones with good jobs) but he's trying to get to the end of the season AND keep us up with them before replacing them with fitter younger ones - ex pro-academy types

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Baggy
(@baggy)
Member Moderator

The only positive I took from yesterday was to see Blair back and causing problems. 

But the defending vs the counter attack was schoolboy.  You can’t play a high line without pressure on the ball and no pace.  

Great to meet up with @monkeechops from Oldham - just sorry you had to see that performance. 

And those two idiots abusing the players half the game- an embarrassment we could without. 

ReplyQuote
Henryp44
(@henryp44)
Eminent Member

Well what an awful match! I know Marc and his staff are very meticulous with their planning but to change the formation and players positioning numerous times in the first half made no sense to me. It just seemed to confuse the players and led to Macclesfield picking us off on the break at will. To their credit Macclesfield did play very well but we where the perfect opposition for them with our slow ponderous build up play and ageing defenders.

prior looked miles off it which is a big concern going forward, Dan Gallagher had a nightmare replacing Tony Craig in the back line, fuller tried his best but can’t say I was surprised when his hamstring went as his was constantly sprinting back to try and stop a breakaway, Niall huffed and puffed but lacked any real quality on the ball, carter was poor in-fact they all where tbh.

Was some very strong words from some supporters at the final whistle which I think was totally justified. As someone who tries to take the positives from situations even I was left fuming with the inept display. To their credit Harrison male, carter and Bobby joe did come over and talk to the fans. I know that was at least appreciated by the fans around me.

This feels like a pivotal moment in the season. We need to put in a good performance at York (assuming it is on if course) and more importantly imo we need to get our home form back to where it was last season. Play like we did second half v Oldham and we will be fine, play like we did yesterday and it will be back to the conf south. 

AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Agreed that Tom Blair was the only player to come out of the game with any sort of credit. He should be first name on the teamsheet for York on Tuesday.

Yesterday just shows how bad we are without Tony Craig. We were dreadful defensively last season before he came in and we've been dreadful this season without him in the side. Hopefully we see him and Joe Cook come back in to the side this week because i'm really not a fan of Hollis at the left of the back three.

@henryp44 - to be fair, Josh Taylor came over as well and apologised to us. Good to see Charlie Carter come over and talk to the fans as well; he would probably be forgiven for not considering he is a fairly new player. Pretty sure there were some players that didn't even come over and clap the fans.

ReplyQuote
monkeechops
(@monkeechops)

@baggy thanks for the warm welcome, at least you got a weekend away from home. If you find yourself in this neck of the woods (maybe your away game to Altrincham in a few weeks), drop me a pm as I'll be free for that one.

Safe trip home today chaps

Baggy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@ethant)
Eminent Member

Having calmed down a bit after the embarrassing performance yesterday I won't moan too much about the game as we all know how bad we were.

Credit to the players that did come over and apologise as that was the least they all should have done. The ones that didn't well, pretty poor from them and Marc was quick to hurry off away from the fans as soon as he realised the fans were going to make it known that they weren't happy.

Have to just move on now but can't see us putting in a good performance at the moment (hopefully I am proved wrong).

SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

I can't say I agree with the strong words from a few of the fans at the final whistle. It smacked of a sense of entitlement, and in my view we're entitled to nothing, we are just fans.

When all is going well the same fans sing loud and enjoy it, when it's going against us and the team aren't performing, it's not helpful to be pitchside hollering at the players to buck their ideas up (rather than say encouraging words of support). Their heads are already all over the place without fans on their backs.

Club is massively punching just to be in the VNL and relegation if it were to happen might be the reality check that one or two fans would benefit from seeing. Much bigger clubs that Wanderers have gone down to the NLS.

Not that I particularly want to see it happen of course, which I hope goes without saying.

The Dorking players may in the main were poor yesterday but I think there's a massive lack of confidence when we go behind, I have said it before on here, getting the first goal in games is vital for this group, go behind and they panic and play wierd tactics once they are behind!

I appreciate when it's really bad you don't feel like clapping them off, I didn't at Gateshead, I just quietly left without applauding them and kept my thoughts to myself. Just don't see what good complaining to the players will do, they need a confidence boost not grumbles.

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Henryp44
(@henryp44)
Eminent Member

@dorking-eagle can understand where you are coming from re the strong words from fans but for me personally yesterday was justified. From where I was stood there wasn’t any ott abuse it was just fans letting out their frustration. Like you that isn’t how I would personally react but I do understand why some would want to vent aloud. So long as it isn’t personal abuse I feel it’s okay.

I do think as fans though we can really make a huge difference especially at home. It has been very flat for the majority of games in the stands and that must filter down to the pitch. We need to bring the noise for 90 mins as I’m sure that would help lift the players performances on the pitch. 

if the worst happens and dorking do get relegated I don’t think it would be a disaster in the long term. Of course in the short to medium term it would hurt the club on and off the pitch but it would allow the club to really get their house in order so that if/when they where promoted back to the national league the infrastructure/ team would already be in place so that the club can compete to a decent level, one step back to take two steps forward if you will.

Then again I am an optimist so I’m probably completely wrong! Either way I’m sure we will all be there to enjoy the ride! 

This post was modified 6 months ago by Henryp44

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)

The club have several infrastructure projects in the pipeline which you will know about being a shareholder, there is also purchase of the Meadowbank freehold a roof on the away end, and long term no doubt a major remodelling of the ground. Pref without Surrey FA in situ (thats my own personal wish!) Most of this goes on hold if the club goes down, some things basically go backwards. No roof on the away end etc. 

Whatever it takes the club have to stay up. Things can take longer, that's fine, but the club doesn't move forward at all if we go down.

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

@dorking-eagle agreed, I think it's time to park some of these off the field projects and re-invest in to the playing squad this season. Staying up this season is just as important as it was last season, if not more so.

The NLS is MUCH harder now than it was when we went up. We really only had Ebbsfleet and Maidstone to worry about when we were in it. If we find ourselves in there next season then we might have Yeovil (unlikely), Torquay, Maidstone, Worthing, etc in there as well as the other teams that go down (Possibly Oxford and Ebbsfleet).

You would imagine we would lose some of our premier players as well if we drop down - Pybus, Carter, Francomb, Craig, etc I can't see playing at Step 2.

ReplyQuote
monkeechops
(@monkeechops)

Posted by: @monkeechops

@baggy @AdeB thanks for the warm welcome, at least you got a weekend away from home. If you find yourself in this neck of the woods (maybe your away game to Altrincham in a few weeks), drop me a pm as I'll be free for that one.

Safe trip home today chaps

ReplyQuote
Henryp44
(@henryp44)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @dorking-eagle

The club have several infrastructure projects in the pipeline which you will know about being a shareholder, there is also purchase of the Meadowbank freehold a roof on the away end, and long term no doubt a major remodelling of the ground. Pref without Surrey FA in situ (thats my own personal wish!) Most of this goes on hold if the club goes down, some things basically go backwards. No roof on the away end etc. 

Whatever it takes the club have to stay up. Things can take longer, that's fine, but the club doesn't move forward at all if we go down.

If that is your opinion re relegation then I accept it’s probably a lot closer to the truth than my earlier simplistic/optimistic view. Let’s just hope Marc and the players can turn things around and we finish above the drop.

off topic but Interesting Phil brown has taken the Kidderminster job, can’t see the appeal with them looking dead and buried already but maybe he sees it as a shot to nothing. 

This post was modified 6 months ago by Henryp44

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Would have been Hampton & Richmond away next round

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: