'Black Friday' season ticket prices - discussion

9 Posts
5 Users
2 Reactions
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Just a supporter. Moderator
Topic starter  

I believe that last year on Black Friday the cheapest price for an adult general admission season ticket (for what is now the current season) was £250

That is now priced at £290

Works out at £12.60 a game (compared to the current gate price of £18)

It is claimed the prices have a 30% saving which suggests the 'full' season ticket price for adult general admission will be £395

In my opinion you really need to be aiming to attend about 18 of the 23 home games (which would make it a cost of £16 a game) to be worth investing in a season ticket

I am currently halfway through year 1 of a 3 year gold card, which worked out at £10 a game if I went to every game, or about 15 quid a game in real terms if I get to 15 of the home games each season - I am of course very happy with that as the gate price is currently £18 a game.

It could be that the 'gate price' is going up, perhaps to £20? (pure speculation) however I would like to think there will still be regular offers or discounts through the season for those fans for whom a season ticket is not a viable option (based on how many games they are likely to get to) or indeed because of the upfront sum involved.

I'd also like to think that whilst the 'black friday' prices advertised are probably as low as season tickets are going to be offered at, that the next time the club offer season tickets for sale (in the spring 2024?) that the price doesn't go up massively from what they are now, maybe still keep it under £300

Be interested in other people's thoughts, and also in how the prices compare to other comparable clubs locally

This topic was modified 8 months ago 4 times by Dorking Eagle

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

Miller09
(@miller09)
Trusted Member

You do have a complicated supporter's life @Dorking Eagle! But you have certainly got max value for money with the long term deals.  I hardly ever go to Palace now, with the price and quality of football on offer. 

I think its good business for the club to offer these deals and I will take up the opportunity. Maybe even a 3 year deal, given the price per match advantage.   True, the cost increase this season is well above inflation, but still works out pretty cheap per game over the season as us you say. I don't know if other clubs offer such cheap deals for season tickets, but I think its a pretty good offer. Makes those dreadful home defeats less painful!  

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

Hi, I edited my initial post because it was a bit of a knee jerk reaction when the black friday prices were published.

But yes, if I didn't have a (very) long term season ticket at Palace I certainly wouldn't go at over £50 a game for the seat I sit in. When my Palace season ticket expires in 2031 I will have to see what it costs then to go to Palace, but at the moment I suspect I would jack it in and just go watch Dorking with my son who would then be 22 years old(!!!)

Looking at what we pay around the country, I think price has little correlation to the quality of the ground - many clubs charge what they think they can charge, and I won't be at all surprised if Dorking make it £20 on the gate for adults.

Maybe there could be an advance purchase online discount of £1 or £2 off such a price?

All just thoughts, however a lot of Dorking fans came along because they were turned off by expensive league or Prem football, we must not price fans out from coming regularly whether they are season ticket holders or pay for games on the gate fans

As I wrote in my post at the top, I would hope that Dorking continue to do a few offers along the length of the season - multibuy game packages - pick 3 games from the next 5 for a cheaper rate etc, or indeed discounts for people with season tickets at other clubs

I should also note I have never known another club to be so generous in terms of cheap or even free away coaches, free food and drink occasionally 

All little things that make you feel valued

"Why would I leave to join a League Two club? We're going there anyway!" - Marc White

AdeB and SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

Out of curiosity, I tried check the statement of :

"Book your place at Meadowbank next season with a 2024/25 season ticket at a phenomenal 𝟯𝟬% 𝗢𝗙𝗙!"

The adult general admission season ticket is priced at £290 during the Black Friday offer.

Whereas 23 matches paid for at £18 (adult gate price) would equal £414

If you look at that total £414 cost minus 30% discount (£124.20) it equals £289.80 (as close as you'll get to the £290 Black Friday season ticket price)

So the claimed 30% saving would appear to be against the full gate price across the season.

(If the above calculation by myself is not how the 30% off discount is calculated I am of course more than happy to stand corrected or indeed also a right of reply is always available on this forum)

This post was modified 8 months ago 2 times by Dorking Eagle

ReplyQuote
(@slug)
Member Moderator

I tried to book at the reduced Black Friday price and it showed £340 in the SH stand. I thought that was the full price but maybe it is the discounted price!

seems quite a hike from last year

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

Posted by: @slug

I tried to book at the reduced Black Friday price and it showed £340 in the SH stand. I thought that was the full price but maybe it is the discounted price!

seems quite a hike from last year

I believe this time last year when there was a Black Friday season ticket release (ie November 2022), the release was limited to 100 season tickets (or similar) and the club only charged one type price, rather than charging a bit more for those who have a reserved seat (compared to standing only)

I do think the Stonegate Stand is worth a bit more than what they charge for general admission.

I think it is arguable whether there should be an extra charge for the Family Stand, because there are people walking in front of it all game (it's not 'raised up' from pitch level in the same way the Stonegate Stand is). 

Also, access to the Stonegate Stand is carefully restricted to season ticket holders, but the Family Stand seems to be more of a free for all with random attendees helping themselves to season ticket holders seats despite really big sticker labelling now.

This post was modified 8 months ago by Dorking Eagle

ReplyQuote
(@georges)
Trusted Member

Even while bracing myself for an above-inflation hike in a year where I can't even afford to justify a £3.99 a month Bunch Of Amateurs subscription, I'm still grateful for the season we were offered free season ticket renewals + merch vouchers etc for a couple of false start covid seasons. 

I share a Chelsea season ticket too with my neighbour and have found Dorking much more entertaining last couple of years and at a much cheaper rate, feel free to insert your own jokes!

This post was modified 8 months ago 2 times by GeorgeS

ReplyQuote
(@ritch)
Eminent Member

Posted by: @dorking-eagle

Out of curiosity, I tried check the statement of :

"Book your place at Meadowbank next season with a 2024/25 season ticket at a phenomenal 𝟯𝟬% 𝗢𝗙𝗙!"

The adult general admission season ticket is priced at £290 during the Black Friday offer.

Whereas 23 matches paid for at £18 (adult gate price) would equal £414

If you look at that total £414 cost minus 30% discount (£124.20) it equals £289.80 (as close as you'll get to the £290 Black Friday season ticket price)

So the claimed 30% saving would appear to be against the full gate price across the season. 

I worked it out the same way having originally thought they were offering 30% off the season ticket price and not as you say the price of 23 games at £18. Still a decent saving though. 

Do you think we can assume they won’t be any cheaper than this at any stage?

ReplyQuote
Dorking Eagle
(@dorking-eagle)
Topic starter  

There are no guarantees in life, but even if we went down to the National League South I dont think the price would go down from those offered now 

Just my opinion.

ReplyQuote
Share: