AFC Fylde (H) - Discussion + Predictions

32 Posts
12 Users
16 Reactions
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

After an important 3 points at Boreham Wood on Saturday, we face newly promoted AFC Fylde at Meadowbank this weekend. Fylde sit in 22nd place in the table but arrive in good form with 3 wins and a draw from their last 4 league games. Back in November, both sides shared a point with an entertaining 3-3 draw at Mill Farm.

Fylde have actually visited Meadowbank before back in Feb 2020 where the visitors came away 4-2 winners with Nick Haughton the real danger man for them that day. Matt Briggs also produced a great display that day with an excellent assist and well taken goal.

Seb Bowerman injured his hamstring early on against Boreham Wood and although there is no official word on his likely return, you would expect him to miss at least a few weeks. Fuller is expected to still be a few weeks away while Marc announced that Matt Briggs is likely to return to the squad this weekend after returning from his latest injury spell. Luke Moore serves the last game of his 4 match suspension.

Predictions:

Dorking 3-1 Fylde (Prior x 2, Rutherford)

1,822 att.

Male

Francomb      Craig      Hollis

Muitt           J. Taylor         Pybus          Blair

Carter

Prior         Rutherford

Subs: Gallagher, B. Taylor, McManus, Briggs, Ottaway

(Expecting a fairly similar line-up after the good performance on Saturday. The injury to Bowerman does allow Blair to play on his more preferred left hand side where he was so effective before his injury back in October. Wouldn't surprise me to see Bobby-Joe start instead of Muitt if Jimmy isn't considered fit enough to start yet.)

This topic was modified 6 months ago 2 times by Baggy

TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Sounds like we've picked up a few injuries midweek then. McManus confirmed as one but no word on others.

My guess would be TC as he came off after 60 mins-ish against Boreham Wood and Marc confirmed Cook will be back for Tuesday. Suggests we need cover for that position with him being recalled from loan.

"Ultra attacking" lineup would suggest Bobby playing at the left of the back 3 with Hollis in the middle (if TC is injured) and Jimmy and Blair on the wings.

Baggy reacted
ReplyQuote
RobH
 RobH
(@robh)
Estimable Member

Another lose. It appeared that we played well (not as well as last week against BW), but couldn't find the back of the net. Maybe a bit more aggression would help? Fylde did well capitalizing on our mistakes. That miss by Carter hurts my soul, but kudos for him trying to stay in it. Briggsy gets his first goal of the season (I think his first goal in the National League). Hope Alfie's issue isn't too serious. It is raining here, and that fits my mood about right. Some really tough games coming up, but many are away, which our form has been really good. 

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

I know many will disagree, but I'm firmly with Marc on this one.

We totally dominated the vast majority of the game, and on any other day would have netted a good few goals. Their first was a freak goal, and one which you could argue the ref should've disallowed, as either a foul on the keeper, or stop play immediately both players went down.

Fylde were poor, and we had them rattled throughout, especially the first 30 mins. 

Bit too much long ball second half for me, and I think Jason was off his game somewhat.

Roll on Altrincham!

SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

While I agree that Fylde were nothing special and we probably should have taken some of those chances (obviously the Carter one), I don't think we deserved anything from the game.

Feels like I've seen those exact 3 goals various times this season - mistakes for first 2 goals and the third goal was the same as every other second half counter attack goal we've conceded at home this season. They should have scored a 4th late one as well.

At the other end of the pitch, I thought the chance creation was poor. Delivery from wide areas was generally not good enough and the few times it was, our strikers showed very little composure, often mistiming their jumps for headers. Blair and Muitt made poor decisions for the most part when in dangerous positions.

Uncharacteristically poor performances from Josh Taylor and Prior didn't help. Ottaway did ok when he came on but he just never looks like scoring and that is a real problem. 
Happy that Briggs got his first goal in 2 years; hopefully he gets some confidence from that.

Halifax next week is now must win and we could probably do with something from the Alty game as well.

EthanT and SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Baggy
(@baggy)
Member Moderator

This was a self inflicted defeat.  The Carter miss was crucial of course. No excuse for that. But errors gave them the goals and getting caught on the break is unforgivable- third goal - as Blair was told on the pitch. 

Second half a lot of chances were created but the ball just didn’t fall right. But the wingers did not create as much as they should have done given the ball they had.  

Hope Alfie is ok.  Can’t seem to survive 20 minutes without an injury these days. Ottaway and Hollis stand outs for me. 

EthanT and SDDWFC reacted
ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

Just listen to Marc's post match interview and read your thoughts on the game.

From the interview it sounded like we deserved something from the game??

So who played well and did we deserve anything?

ReplyQuote
(@epsomwanderer)
Eminent Member

@happy-hammers I thought we were completely dominate before the first goal! After a really bad first half of season we are playing some great stuff, at full strength we are a good team in this league.

We could play that game 100 times and it wouldn't be 1-3 again, the problem is we don't get to play again! And the bigger problem is we are having 'unlucky' season and massive problem this year the four teams that go down will consider themselves unlucky. 

We do seem to struggle to focus after conceding, even if you can debate the goal it counts get on with it!

But as Marc said in the post match we won every battle on pitch yesterday.

On side note I took my wife along for her first match (I was the guy that fractured my wrist at BW, had people to thank the club have been amazing), she loved it, really friendly atmosphere, great fans she can see why its addictive. So Mrs Epsom Wanderer might become a regular visitor! 

This post was modified 6 months ago by EpsomWanderer

AdeB reacted
ReplyQuote
(@crawleysth)
Estimable Member

Really need to improve home results. That is four defeats out of four against teams below Dorking in the league. Only 7 home games left now, so really needs to improve if chance of staying up 

ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@epsomwanderer Totally agree. Dominant for the first 30 and most of the second half - any other day the scoreline would've been reversed.

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Interesting fact of the day - that Briggs goal was the first at the "Bank" end we've scored since Hollis against Boreham Wood back in mid-November.

We're really poor in the second half of matches at home this season.

ReplyQuote
(@ethant)
Eminent Member

@adeb Agreed but how many times have we said that this season already. We can only be "unlucky" so many times.

ReplyQuote
TomCalvert
(@calvertskans)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Diagree on the whole "we win that game 99/100" idea. Feel like i've seen the same type of goal many many times this season (and last). As others have mentioned, we've not won against any of the teams around us at home this season and although we definitely played better in this one than we did against the likes of Woking, Oxford, Maidenhead, Kiddy, etc, we still don't score enough goals and make too many mistakes to consistently win games.

EthanT reacted
ReplyQuote
AdeB
 AdeB
(@adeb)
Honorable Member

@calvertskans It's quite incredible how the (second half) home form has collapsed. From last season when we seemed to be regularly pulling it out of the bag, to this, when as you say, those breakaway goals are all to common.

What is behind this do people think? Is it the back line too slow at times? Maybe the way we play at the moment we're better suited away from home when we aren't pressing so high up? And why almost always the second half? So many questions...

ReplyQuote
Baggy
(@baggy)
Member Moderator

Certainly lots of questions! 

I think team selection/ availability is finally good.  Defence has been pretty decent by and large I reckon but yesterday there were individual mistakes and very good finishes.  

Going forward is more of a worry. I don’t think the wingers have been contributing as much as last seasons run in. And not enough shots on goal.  The big switch of play happened once yesterday (Prior) and led to the one big chance of first half.  Different game if that went in. 

And yes, away games may suit us better at the moment  - if chances are taken of course.  Will be tough though on Tuesday 

ReplyQuote
Gary Pascoe
(@happy-hammers)
Reputable Member

Just watched the highlights of Saturday's game, I've come to the conclusion that our team is to nice, looking at the chances, nobody seems to what to get in where it hurts. Plus getting knocked off the ball so easy.

Some of the players confidence looks very low,

Defo foul on the keeper for their 1st goal. Ref normally stops the play straight away when that happens!!!!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share: